Pop goes the...

87Warrior

...XJ's water pump :fool:

Made the 2 hour drive home and 9 miles from the house I hear a thud, then noticed I lost power steering followed by a temp gauge on the rise. Pulled over to steam pouring out of the grill. Pop the hood and notice a shredded fan belt with antifreeze spraying from behind the water pump pulley.

For what ever reason, the water pump bearing gave way, twisting the pulley into the pump causing it to lock up and shred the belt. Replaced the pump today with a NEW unit and flushed the radiator. The job was surprisingly simple and easy.

dad had the water pump go on him one time with his 2.5 mj and he thought if he took it slow and stopped every once in awile he could make it 50 kms home...... he melted the pistons to the cylender wall. no joke i saw it but i don't have pics

Only water pump I had go was in the Suburban. Drove from work to a friend's house, parked it, and rang the doorbell, Then all of a sudden I hear water hitting pavement. Look over to see coolant pouring out the water pump weep hole just as she opened the door. Told her sorry, gotta get home while I still have coolant in there. Drove 6 blocks to get home, and as I watched the needle rise and the temp gauge hit 245 and the "check gauges" light come one I pulled into my drive. Coolant trail stopped about 100 feet away from my house.