Front LH drive shaft

We have removed the hub finally and are on to the LH drive shaft. The u-joint is rusted in worse than the hub was. We would like to replace the drive shaft but we can't find a new shaft. We can find the constant velocity ones but not one with a U-joint. Any ideas? Its a 87 4 wheel drive Laredo 4.0. Will the CV joint ones work?

I think the CV style shafts from a ZJ Grand Cherokee are supposed to work. You might need to knock off the tone ring for the ABS though. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this. Most people don't do this swap though because the CV is a weaker setup the the universals. Good luck!

The CV shafts do work for a fact, but as stated above, depending on the unit bearing you may have to remove the ABS ring. It is just pressed on, and usually comes off with a few good hits from a hammer.

Supposedly they are about the same strength as the smaller u joints. I ran and wheeled with a passenger side CV shaft for a few months and it survived some axle hopping. IMO they are a bit stronger, although not as strong as the larger u joints. I now keep it as a trail spare.

The previous posters are correct, depending on your year you may or may not have to remove the tone ring. But as Mvusse said, they come off easily. The CV has a better tuning radius as well. So if you experienced any binding at or near full lock. With the new shaft this should be gone. These shafts where used in the full time 4WD vehicles and the cost is pretty reasonable as well!

CW