The jeep flooded and now it acts like the battery is dead

In may when this area flooded the truck flooded. It got over the bottom door sill so I suspect it got over the starter. It cranked and drove fine for a while then it started acting like the battery was dying. I had the battery tested and it showed bad so I replaced it. Worked fine for a while then started acting up again. I had the new battery tested, the alternator and the starter tested. While the tester was hooked up I tried to start it and it turned over slowly then suddenly it was like something let go and it cranked like it was supposed to. Did fine for about a month. Yesterday it was raining hard and I went out to start it. Dead battery. I've been told that the starter could be bad from where it got wet.

Should I go ahead and put a new one on and is it hard to change? Anything I need to be aware of? Or, could there be something else wrong?

Dirty water and sediment getting in there could have frozen the starter brushes. Before buying a new one I'd pull it and take it apart to inspect the brushes. Replace them while you're in there, clean it all up with contact cleaner, then bench test. It will probably be all right. :cheers:

Don, You have more faith in my ability that I do.

Yes I do. :D If you have the ability to replace the starter, you certainly can pop the end piece off and check out the brushes. There's nothing to lose, right? :cheers:

I didn't even try to clean that nasty thing. I figured for $60 new and lifetime warranty it was worth the money to put new on. The hardest part was getting those bolts loose that held the unit in place. Jeez. But I did it and it cranked like a murph!! I'm back on the road again.