Emergency brake problem

I have removed my old worn out cables but I would like to replace them.

Here is the problem:

The hole in the backer plates is now oval and is to big to securely fasten the push-in clips of the cables. I do not want to replace the backer plates on a Dana 35 because it is a complete waste of money so what do I do? Sorry I didn't take any pictures but I'm sure everyone has had this problem on one or more cars or trucks.

I guess I could have someone weld on a grade 8 washer to the back side but I don't have a welder myself. Any suggestions??

Why would the washer have to be welded, and why would it have to be grade 8?

If its being welded a grade 8 is thicker and harder. making it a much better candidate to being welded.

Bepending on the size of the hole/damage it may/could work without welding. But welding it makes for a better/stronger repair... not getting lazy in your "older" age are you my friend?? :wavey:

CW

Why would the washer have to be welded, and why would it have to be grade 8?

If its being welded a grade 8 is thicker and harder. making it a much better candidate to being welded.

Bepending on the size of the hole/damage it may/could work without welding. But welding it makes for a better/stronger repair... not getting lazy in your "older" age are you my friend?? :wavey:

CW

Me? Lazy? OLD!?!

Just a-wonderin', is all. The hole is still there in the backing plate, just a bit egged out. The washer isn't going anywhere, so I don't see how strength would be at all a factor. And thicker, in this case, is not a good thing. Too thick, and the retaining fingers on the cable end can't snap out and do any retaining.

To be honest, unless the holes are REALLY hogged out, I think the first thing I would try is putting the cables in and spreading the fingers a bit wider with a screwdriver or pliers.