vent glass

I read somewhere before that it is possible to make the stationary front window glass in late model MJ/XJ the wing vent windows but i can't seem to remember where i read that! :fs1:

I am looking for a set of doors for my 90 eliminator that don't look like swiss cheese like mine, but still have power windows and power and power locks AND vent windows.

All the local yards want close to $200 a piece (2 doors=$400. More than i paid for the whole truck) and the pick a parts have almost all junk doors with the vent glass. It would be fantastic if i could pull all power featured doors off like a 96 XJ and take good vent glass and hing pin from like an 88 XJ and make a frankenstien door.

Is it possible or did i just have a dream about this?

Josh

I read somewhere before that it is possible to make the stationary front window glass in late model MJ/XJ the wing vent windows but i can't seem to remember where i read that! :fs1:

I am looking for a set of doors for my 90 eliminator that don't look like swiss cheese like mine, but still have power windows and power and power locks AND vent windows.

All the local yards want close to $200 a piece (2 doors=$400. More than i paid for the whole truck) and the pick a parts have almost all junk doors with the vent glass. It would be fantastic if i could pull all power featured doors off like a 96 XJ and take good vent glass and hing pin from like an 88 XJ and make a frankenstien door.

Is it possible or did i just have a dream about this?

Josh

Yep, people do this a lot on XJs. Anything up to a 96 is bolt-on, after that, the wing window disappears so it's sorta hard to make it work :rotf:

Warning though, at least the first few times getting the vent window pieces in and out is a pain. They are part of the sliding window track.

Where are you located? If it's within a few hours of Massachusetts, head on up this way and hit one of the pick a parts, the doors are generally in mostly OK shape when they first arrive but get dented by idiots, depends on your luck that day. I pay 50 bucks each for doors with mirrors and all accessories attached.

I did this door swap when my truck was wrecked. Found a pair of doors from a Cherokee with P/W and P/D. Cost me $200 for the set. $100/door. My suggestion, shop around. Also pay attention to the wiring harnesses.

If I had to do it again, I would look for a 97 + door with p/w and p/locks. True, the right door will not permit the glove box to be fully opened without opening the door. But I like the 97 power windows and the no wing window line in the one piece window glass view. But the whole truck has been freshly painted now, so we will see were it goes.

Also got a pair of 97+ door weather stripping last weekend. Hope they cut down on wind noise. Looks like a very easy swap.