speedo quit?

My speedo just quit, all of my other gauges work, it's still plugged in to the trans. Can a speedo it self just quit? Will and older dash with a cable in put work? Or would it be best to look for another plug in one.

Assuming that you have a cable driven speedo, just because the cable is plugged in, doesn't mean it hasn't snapped inside. Take it loose from the t-case, and the back of the speedo, and give it a spin. Watch to see if the other end moves.

Rob L.

It's a 4.0 5speed BA/10 4x4. 89 jeep, but its a 91 drive train. So its a not a cable driven speed'o A plug with wires plug into the back of the gauges. I have an older cable driven dash, will that work with my newer style? I'm asking cause i haven't taken mine apart yet to even see the difference.

Ah... This makes things easier... That sensor on the t-case is a little temperamental at times... Get under there, and wrap on it with the butt of a screwdriver a few times, and see if it wakes up. If it does, time for a new sensor...

My '91 did exactly the same thing... I was too cheap, so whenever it acted up, I just gave it a love tap, and continued on.

Rob L. :cheers:

Ok, i change the speed'o sensor and still nothing, the new sensor came with a new pigtail so i spliced that into they wiring and whala it works! So was it the plug or the sensor? I don't care its fixed!!

• 2 months later...

Ok, i posted this back in July, everything was going good, now my speedo is floating around the speed, some times drops below almost down to 0 and stays there for a bit. Then sometimes above the speed i'm going. Then sometimes it goes 2-3 days and works fine. The sensor is still tight, and wiring seems fine. Any ideas?