junkyard door removal

going hunting for some better, and power doors, next weekend at Harry's Pick and Pull (PA)

3 questions

1) For my 87, 86-93 4 door cherokees will fit, correct?

2) what is the easiest way to get a door off, and what tools will I need?

3) aside from the speaker wires, are there connectors for the windows and locks that can be disconnected under the dash? Don't want to cut and slash if I can salvage the whole shebang.

Thanks guys

Tom

going hunting for some better, and power doors, next weekend at Harry's Pick and Pull (PA)

3 questions

1) For my 87, 86-93 4 door cherokees will fit, correct?

2) what is the easiest way to get a door off, and what tools will I need?

3) aside from the speaker wires, are there connectors for the windows and locks that can be disconnected under the dash? Don't want to cut and slash if I can salvage the whole shebang.

Thanks guys

Tom

1 - 8?-96 will fit. Even 97 and later ones will fit if you don't mind modifying the location of the latch strike pin, JP mag has an article on it.

2 - sawzall, phillips screwdriver, and a pair of channel lock pliers. Phillips screwdriver is for removing the kick panels and trim to get at the wiring, sawzall the hinges on the body side of the pivot (body's gonna get crushed anyways, and it leaves you with more parts on hand if you want to make two sets of removable door hinges), and the channel locks are for the roll pin in the door check bar. Tip here, either prop the door up with something fairly soft or have a helper hold it... and remove the check bar roll pin and wiring BEFORE you cut the hinges! If you don't have a battery powered sawzall yet, you should either get one (they are AWESOME) or bring a set of Torx bits, not sure what size the door bolts are but they're something around a T25 to T35 or so. I always just bring my whole set and try em till one fits.

3 - you want to pull up the carpet and grab the whole cross-body wiring harness between the two doors. All the connectors and junk can be unplugged behind the kick panels. If you get the cross body wiring harness, try and get it from a vehicle with power mirrors (if those matter to you.) AFAIK the door wiring harnesses have everything needed to get power mirrors working if they came with any power options, so get the cross body wiring harness with the mirror control switch and then pick up a set of power mirrors off the same vehicle... or if you want, grab some 97+ mirrors and bolt them onto the doors before you buy them.

Easy way to pull junkyard doors is to pull the fenders off first. It's just a few screws holding each one on. Then with the fenders off, you can use a full size ratchet wrench and torx bit. The hinges have three holes on one side, so that when the doors are closed, you can stick the torx bit through those holes.

• 2 weeks later...