Just bought my first MJ, already having trans issues?

Hey everyone I'm new to the club, i just picked up my first MJ a few weeks ago for $500 Bucks. Its an 86' 2 wheel drive with a 2.5L automatic that was aledgedly rebuilt in 2007 and has had only 11k miles on it seince that. When i went to buy it i rode my motorcycle 2 hours away to pick it up, i loaded my bike into the back and drove the truck home (figured that would be a good test of its reliability lol) Anyways the truck seemed kinda slugish to me and i figured its probaly just cause its a little 2.5L and ive never owned a truck with anything in it smaller than a 4.0 strait six..... well 2 tanks of gas later the thing starts shaking from underneath at about 35-50mph and doesnt want to shift untill i smash the gas. after it reaches a certin speed though its relativly smooth again. I checked the trans fluid and it seems to be fine. also it is not leaking at all.

I'm hoping that it may be just a sensor or something? but to be quite honest i don't know a whole lot about these MJ's as ive only owened one for a few weeks now. Any imput would be great!

If your getting really bad vibrations in that 35-50mph range, check your U-joints. Or, when it starts vibrating, take your foot off the gas, and listen for a clunk, or for the vibrations to go away.

Yes, the 2.5 is a little less pep than the 4.0, and you will notice that.

Can't help you on the "doesnt want to shift untill i smash the gas"

But it should have a TV cable, most all autos do :hmm: Your TV cable could be out of adjustment. I'm not sure the '86 has the same "auto adjustment" that the AW4's have :dunno:

Oh, TV cable = Throttle Valve, not the thing you watch cable :shake:

If your getting really bad vibrations in that 35-50mph range, check your U-joints. Or, when it starts vibrating, take your foot off the gas, and listen for a clunk, or for the vibrations to go away.

Yes, the 2.5 is a little less pep than the 4.0, and you will notice that.

Can't help you on the "doesnt want to shift untill i smash the gas"

But it should have a TV cable, most all autos do :hmm: Your TV cable could be out of adjustment. I'm not sure the '86 has the same "auto adjustment" that the AW4's have :dunno:

Oh, TV cable = Throttle Valve, not the thing you watch cable :shake:

Well when i bought it the guy told me the only thing that its going to need is a set of front shocks. could that be it? It definatly feels to be like its coming from right under me where the trans it though, so I'm stuck lol

You can check the shocks from pushing down on a fender, and letting go, to see if it keeps bouncing.

Another thought......check the motor mounts and tranny mount to see if there torn up.

Also........the flex plate could be cracked and causing your vibration and lack of power :dunno:

Having it "re-build" in 07 don't mean they installed a new flex plate, and besides, that was 3 years ago, and how many miles :hmm:

What was rebuilt? Motor, trans or both? Most "rebuilds" I've seen are half-assed jobs. Unless the PO had receipts or you trust them, my guess is what wildman said. Flexplate and torque converter were probably not replaced.