A new source of tail lights...?

beepbeepmyredjeep

I know that the sources for tail lights for MJs seems to be getting smaller and more expensive...so I've been playing around with ideas in my head.

Now granted, I don't have the funds right now to build this, so if someone else wants to take this idea and run with it, go for it...

Instructables has a section on how to create your own vaccum former.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... make-your/

The idea is, create a mold for the inside and outside of two perfectly good MJ tail lights.

Then use a clear plastic resin mixed with dye to create the new tail lights.

Have you priced any of this stuff yet? Once you get the molds made, it would all be downhill from there. Make left and right insides, and left and right outsides, drill holes where needed, and glue the halves together. I know it sounds easy, but it would be a ton of work. Might be worth it if you could sell them for anything close to what good used ones are going for. Bad thing is a good set would have to be sacrificed to be split for the molds.

Have you priced any of this stuff yet? Once you get the molds made, it would all be downhill from there. Make left and right insides, and left and right outsides, drill holes where needed, and glue the halves together. I know it sounds easy, but it would be a ton of work. Might be worth it if you could sell them for anything close to what good used ones are going for. Bad thing is a good set would have to be sacrificed to be split for the molds.

Nope, haven't priced anything yet.

I'm not thinking just for creating standard replacement taillights though.

You could theoretically create high-durability tail lights. Use a metal such as allumaloy to create a sort of wire mesh protector around the lenses.

Sadly this is one of those projects that I just don't have time for, especially since I just bought a house in December, and I'm currently putting a large amount of work into it.