Fuel Sending Unit Question

So I went up to Midas to have the breaks and muffler looked at. Of course the brakes needed work and the muffler needed replacing. 1990 4.0 Long Bed Automatic. What I didn't expect was to find a lead at the fuel sending unit. Also there seem to be a few bolts and screws that indicated that there may have been some sort of skid plate around the gas tank or maybe near the gas tank to protect the fuel sending unit and hoses and wires??? Any ideas what was there??

Jeep engineers realized Jeepers wouldn't just arbitrarily swap there gas tanks so they designed a plastic shield to fit under the gas tank to catch and hold dirt and moisture so the tank would rust out faster.

Look at the 2 straps holding the gas tank. If there are 2 studs on each strap then it had a factory installed plastic shield. If there are no studs then it didn't. If you haven't gotten a satisfactory answer tomorrow let me know and I can send a couple pics. Can't now cause it's dark outside and I'm afraid of the boogy man.

What I didn't expect was to find a lead at the fuel sending unit. Also there seem to be a few bolts and screws that indicated that there may have been some sort of skid plate around the gas tank or maybe near the gas tank to protect the fuel sending unit and hoses and wires???

The fuel sending unit is inside the tank. It doesn't need a skid plate. Standard equipment on the MJ was a plastic baffle that hung off the tank straps to serve as a gravel guard ... nothing more. Steel skid plates were optional, but they protected the bottom of the tank, not the fuel pump area.