Transmission and or bellhousing, headache, hours $$$

Busy weeks at work have made my clutch repairs take way longer than should- but today I finished. but man oh man do I have a noise thats coming from the bellhousing that has me confused.

I had to pop out the tranny to put in a slave cylinder, replaced the master 3 months ago and even put in a new hose, figured while i was down there to do the clutch and pressure plate too. everything was fine.

Drove it out of the garage to get the see if it worked, everything seemed fine, only thing that wasnt connected was the exhaust to manifold.

Connected the exhaust, put on the last skid plate and cleaned up- decided to take it for a drive but ------

It sounds like popcorn, its a loud @$$ metallic rattle that will not go away. Clutch feels fine, hell, better than it ever has. the rattle doesnt go away when the clutch is pressed or when its in 1-3rd gear (ill admit i turned around cause i didnt want the thing to explode) so i don't know how it goes in 4 or 5

any ideas? Ive been searching through the forums here and it seems that most people with this problem have a bad throw out bearing- but the sound goes away when the clutch is depressed-

Are you sure its coming from the bellhousing? Try taking a long screwdriver touch it to the bellhousing and then hold it to your ear... it will act like a stethescope. Do this on the bellhousing, the trans, the engine block, and the cat converter. I'm thinking maybe when you took the exhaust loose you may have busted the innards to your converter and they are bouncing around in there with the exhaust flow. Another thing that will work to narrow down the sound is a 2-3 foot section of 3/8", or 1/2" rubber tubing held to your ear and then put near whatever may be making a noise, near, not on. Hopefully it won't be anything bad for you. Maybe this will give you a chance to gut your converter!

Oh and I just remembered that some clutches come with a packing clip that would need to be removed before installation.... but I'm not sure if that applies to our trucks or not.... I just know it was an issue with the VW's I used to work on. Good Luck!

I'll check as soon as possible, its very possible this could be the case, while trying to get the exhaust apart to get it over the skid plate i beat it with a rubber mallet then a hammer a couple times at the cat. converter. I'm in idiot, it didnt even work but i hope to god i don't have to drop the tranny again. thanks alot man. any other suggestions?

Is the exhaust maybe contacting the tranny crossmember? I got a pretty ugly rattling noise out of mine when one of my exhaust hangars rusted off and the downpipe landed on the crossmember right next to the tranny mount.

• 2 weeks later...

got it!!!! everything is good. used a hose through my ear to find the noise, was the bellhousing. took out all the bolts again, screwed them all in, one didnt sit right, drove the car, heard a drop slid the last bolt in and everything is in order. thanks guys