Crankshaft won't turn

So I'm putting my block together after all my parts came back from the machine shop. My block didn't have any codes (i.e. P, M or PM) stamped on it so it *should* be a standard size crank / rods. Crank came back with .010 / .010. My bearings say .010 on both the box and stamped on the bearing itself. Crank spins freely before caps. Yes bearings are oriented corrently :D I also used assembly lube. When I install the caps (arrow facing front) and tighten bolts finger tight, I can't spin the crank. I have to use a big-@$$ socket wrench on the snout and even then I can barely turn it. :wall:

Your going to have to mike your crank and the bearings. One of them is off. I have received cranks from the machine shop that were not ground properly. I have also purchased bearings in boxes that were mis labeled. The label on the box was correct but the contents were wrong.

I had the very same thing happen. Arrows were pointing in the right direction however, if you looked at the numbers, 1-6 was upside down from 7. 7 is the key because it can only go on one way. Check and make sure all the numbers can be read from one side with none of them upside down.

I ended up replacing the new bearings because I used a big @ss wrench to turn the crank and scored the new bearings before I found out what I wrote above.

:cheers:

Thanks for the info. I went through some old photos I took and it looks like the engine originally had the bearing caps with the > mark pointed rearward. I also google'd a couple photos of various 2.5/4.0's and the numbers are "right side up" when looking at the bottom of the engine and the snout is to the left. Make sense? :nuts: Anyways I reversed the caps and the assembly rotates fine.