VOLTAGE PROBLEM 18.5V

Hi all,

Since yesterday My MJ has been having high voltage output, the volt gouge is almost at 19V when the rpm on the motor go up, and when i stop at a stop sign, it goes to around 14.5V.

My guess is that the voltage regulator may be working incorrectly, but I am not sure, is the re any way to check? if so is it possible to change by my self? do they sell it at autozone or any other store? I checked auto zone and it said that it was worth around 20 bucks but I checked my alternator and I didnt see it outside so i think its on the inside, if so does anyne have any post on changing the voltage regulator?

My MJ is a 4cil 2.5L everything stock on the motor and alternator is also original I guess, it seems very old and I have not change it since i got it 6 monhs ago.

Can any body direct me to a post where they change the voltage regulator? is it easy to change or do you recommend to take it to a professional? is there any upgrade that can be done to a better alternator that has a easyer to change voltage regulator?

The volage regulator on an 88 is part of the alternator itself. There are places that rebuild alternators (and possibly upgrade them in the process), or you can go to a junk yard or parts store to get an alternator.

Aside from brushes for OLD Ford ones, I have never seen parts for alternators available in stores, just entire alternators.

Alternator repair parts and kits can be obtained from several sources on line. Try ebay first. The last time I ordered parts was 3 months ago so there are some still out there. Just gotta look for them.

I think your Q has been answered correctly. To check for sure, get your hands on a multimeter. Measure the alt output on the alternator with respect to the neg side of the battery. hand-rev the motor. thatll tell you if its the gauge or the alt.

I'm willing to put my momney on the alternator though and I'm not sure its cost effective to find a rebuild kit. if its the regulator i don't think a common person can fix it anyway. Thats not brushes and stators, its diodes and other components. finding those components requires other searching and its just easier to take it to A/Z and trade it in as a core for a new one.

Thank you all for your knowledge, I did check with the multimiter at high rev and it did say 19v so it must be the volt regulator, I will take it to a professional to fix it.

Thank you all for your suport