DAMMIT! Gas tank install

Sorry 'bout the lingo for the under-18 readers ;) .

Just swapped a rust-free bed and new gas tank in. Got it all buttoned up today, put 5gal in it and off to the gas station for a fill. After he'd put about 13-14 gals in (in NJ, no self serve :nuts: ), it starts pouring on the ground.

I knew what it was right away. when I pulled the fuel pump out, the O ring was stuck pretty good to it. Rather than do the smart thing and leave it there, I install a new one, that I had lying around, believe it or not. I felt like I got it in pretty good position on the bench, but obviously not. Also, with the tank almost full, the sender is reading way over "F." Did I not get the sender in proper position?

Now that this is on the truck, and a little more challenging -- should I use some tack to hold the O ring in place? Without being able to see in there very well, where do I sink the sender to make sure it's in the right place? This is annoying, since I should have done it right when it was out of the truck! :fs1: :fs1: :fs1:

Any pro-fessioneal advice appreciated.

-Tom

First, the best thing to do is drop the tank and do this again on a bench. being underneath is NO FUN when gas is dripping.

OEM tanks will have a little plug that the sending unit plugs onto inside the tank, thats what I've always used to get it positioned right. It is difficult to do, but it places it in the right position.

I just did the same with the tank still up, it was a little cramped but if your truck is lifted (mine is 6 in the front, soa in the rear) you can sit between the drive shaft and exhaust and get a pretty good angle on it. getting the lock ring started was the biggest pain though.

Yeah, no way I'm dropping the tank again. I don't see how I could have put the unit in "wrong" as far as the orientation. That part was easy. I'll just drive it for now and use up most of the tank, then back it onto ramps and get under there and pull the unit again. Anyone for tacking on the O-ring to the unit before installation?