New to the "Comanche craze" and lovin' it

I ordered in a Rusty's intake tube and was able to install it yesterday. Its a very simple setup...it uses the factory tube and just replaces the whole air box assembly with a bracket and K&N air filter. Probably took about 20 minutes, and it would have been less but I had to do a little "customizing" (see pics).

the old junk

the new stuff

the custom work....i had to use a little factory part; drill two holes in the end of the filter so I could tap a small line

• 6 months later...

Soooo it turns out that Comanches run quite a bit better when they have a properly functioning fuel pump. :shake: My MJ had been running a little odd....right after start up, it would run fine, but if I proceeded to drive around town awhile, it got to the point where it would drive, but not very well. I worked off of a few pointers from the tech forum here, thanks everyone :cheers: ....right as I was going to change the fuel filter, the Jeep went *blaaah*. Thankfully I was still in my driveway. I changed the filter...nothing...but I realized when I turned the key, that I couldn't hear the pump humming...with a little help from my dad, my girlfriend (yeah, she actually crawled under the truck to lend a hand :yes: ), and a few choice words, my Comanche is one small step closer to greatness. jamminz.gif

great right up one the air filter. I may just do this insted of buying an intake from rusty's off road.

Brandon

Yeah it was very simple to do, and I know my way around tools but I'm not exactly "mr. fixit". I thought the price was very reasonable too. I read your MJ build...I plan on running a snorkel also and I'm considering running some sort of exhaust that resembles a military humvee. I bought this intake because, first it was a good price, second, when I do install the snorkel, I will put this intake on my Cherokee...so it won't just be thrown away.

There is a kid at school who ran his exhaust though the bed behind the cab and behind the tool box kinda like a stack for semis. Not only does it sound better then I would have expected he dose not have to worry about his engine cutting off due to water clogging it up. It sounds amazing. The only reson I ever thought about a snorkel is because I sunk my truck and never wanted to deal with hydro locking ever again. After seeing the cost of a real kit and not a PVC pipe rig up. Now that I have a k&n filter and don't do much  Off roading I can't see spending $300+ to cut a hole in my fender. And I'll be doing that filter thing within the week.

Brandon

Sent from my iPad3G 

• 2 weeks later...

I was lookin through the DIY rightups the other day and I ran across CC member Fire4755's custom cupholder. I decided to use his method but modify it for my truck. I also have a manual with a bench seat, but I do not have the factory center console anymore. I got tired of not having a place for a cup, so.....

Note the high quality custom fabrication :roll: this is how it was before

all the steps from cardboard stensil to sanded individual pieces

"mock up"

finished console/cup holder

Its actually a lot cleaner looking finish than the overkill of a flash makes it look. I'm happy with it! :D

• 1 year later...

I guess its about time for some kind of update...the Jeep has been through a few small mechanical fixes, 4x4 not working (fixed now), sold the black steels with Goodyear MTRs, got the stock turbines back on (for now). Looking to upgrade the lift. I want to go to a 4.5" lift with some new wheels and 31x10.50 Mickey Thompson MTZs. No major changes, just driving it all I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Something about this Jeep, that I somehow completely missed when I was test driving it, was the steering column job. I don't know why it was swapped, but it is obviously not the original. Aaand something was broken...so the PO decided the best fix was to wrap the column in a coke bottle, zip tie it, and paint it to "match" (see picture of interior on first page...you can just see the bottom of the column). I'm all for home brew fixes, but come on :shake: Besides cosmetics, nothing is wrong with the steering so I didn't want to pull it all out. So, I found a piece of tin, cut it to size, and....

....its already 10x better, as far as I'm concerned. I plan on painting the rest of the column black or gray, and then replacing the steering wheel.

Oh yeah, I also swapped out my grill for a 10 slot grill

:thumbsup: