V.C. Bolt size ?

Using the FelPro gasket w. the 4.0 is no problem, but notice you have a 2.5. So what's the difference with the VC bolts? What do you mean by shoulder? :hmm:

Shoulder is the larger diameter unthreaded portion of the flange bolt , :cheers: presumably to define the RTV gasket bead dimension

Was that the OEM size used before RTV gaskets ?

I don't know if the old ones I pulled out were OEM or from a previous owner. They were a different length - maybe 5/8"(?) But at the parts store, they only sold 1/2" and 3/4", so I just grabbed a pack of each. I was worried about bottoming out the 3/4", so I started with the 1/2" - and they worked fine. Just regular grade 5 bolts with a flange head and no shoulder.

Was that the OEM size used before RTV gaskets ?

I don't know if the old ones I pulled out were OEM or from a previous owner. They were a different length - maybe 5/8"(?) But at the parts store, they only sold 1/2" and 3/4", so I just grabbed a pack of each. I was worried about bottoming out the 3/4", so I started with the 1/2" - and they worked fine. Just regular grade 5 bolts with a flange head and no shoulder.

Thanks , I'll source some from Fastenal (probably 5/8" ) and get to work on curing this ongoing oil leak problem , hopefully for good :thumbsup: Gord

Consider using Loctite on the threads of the new bolts. Squirt some brake cleaner into the holes in the head to degrease the threads. Put Loctite on the bolt threads and let it partially set up, then tighten. Don't use red -- that's permanent. Blue would be okay (medium hold), or probably even purple (light hold/small fastener).

Consider using Loctite on the threads of the new bolts. Squirt some brake cleaner into the holes in the head to degrease the threads. Put Loctite on the bolt threads and let it partially set up, then tighten. Don't use red -- that's permanent. Blue would be okay (medium hold), or probably even purple (light hold/small fastener).

:agree: