Retrofitting a newer 4.0 ignition distributor in a '89

Hi folks, a new guy here with a '89 Pioneer and a bit of a problem.

I went for a routine maintenance on the truck, as it was left sitting in my father's backyard last autumn (had no time to work on it back then), and while trying to remove the distributor cap, both bolts broke inside the threads, rusted in. Then I drilled it, and it shattered when I tapped new threads (which, in hindsight, was not the brightest idea I had). :clapping:

So anyway, the local junkyard had one in stock but the wiring harness seems to come from a newer model with the High Output engine. If I remember correctly my truck has a two-wires connector and the distributor I bought has four. Is it possible to cut and crimp the pairs into the two-wires connector that came with my old distr. or is it a no-go ?

99.99% sure you need a Renix Distributor.

You should be able to grab one off an 87-90 XJ or MJ at a yard, or throw down the $$$ for a new one.

Another option is ask on here, someone's bound to have one. I do, but it's several hundred miles away at the moment.

This is a 4.0, yes?

I think I found a way, if I just remove the casing from the gear and put the other wires in.

Anyway, this is worthless if I don't have both parts in hand.

I guess I'll :clapping: myself again tomorrow. Bah ! Had it for cheap anyway.

I still don't think that will work

Read up on this -

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... Stator.htm

Besides the difference with the CamPS, there are some other internal parts that the HO has that the Renix don't have.

I'll agree with Correy, just get a Renix distributor and replace it that way ;)

And yes, I've have to drill out and re-tap the mounting screws before, and didn't have quite the problem you had. Real poor design :shake:

I still don't think that will work

Read up on this -

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... Stator.htm

Besides the difference with the CamPS, there are some other internal parts that the HO has that the Renix don't have.

I'll agree with Correy, just get a Renix distributor and replace it that way ;)

Thanks, that link is awesome.

It shows that I have a Renix distributor in my hands from the JY... so what the **** is in my Jeep ? I guess it's just that the stator has a different connector, maybe ?

To be continued, dudes !..

Well I DID swap for a manual transmission in my Volvo when a fluid line rusted out...

Overkill is the only way to go.

... OK I was already looking for an excuse at the time.

hahaha, the aluminum clamp ate through them didn't it?

(i work at a volvo shop)

Well I DID swap for a manual transmission in my Volvo when a fluid line rusted out...

Overkill is the only way to go.

... OK I was already looking for an excuse at the time.

hahaha, the aluminum clamp ate through them didn't it?

(i work at a volvo shop)

It collapsed under it's own weight while I was cleaning the radiator, as far as I know, but that clamp may have been to blame for the rust starting out in the first place.