2wd transmission

I have a 86 2wd parts truck that has a 4L with manual transmission. My friend has a 92 with 4L 4wd manual transmission that is bad. What will it take to put the 2wd transmission in the 4wd?

Please help.

Thanks

What part of the trans is bad? As transmissions go, the AX-15 isn't all that hard to pull apart for new bearings/bushings.

Oh, and if the donor truck has a 4.0 engine, it's likely not an 86. 87 was the first year for the 4.0

one of the plug bolts on the passenger side holds the spring and check ball inside the tranny housing for that shift rail. Unscrew it (carefully) and remove the spring and check ball, then shift it out of gear. Reinstall everything and you should be good to go.

I've got a .pdf file on the AX trans somewhere that shows an exploded view, lemme see if I can find it. I'll post it up if I can.

Jeff

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can get over there this weekend and try that. I'm intrested in the pdf if your able to find it. We located an automatic transmission out of a 90' xj. Any body know what would be involved in replacing the manual with the automatic?

I can't find my copy of it at the moment, but click on over to the Pirate website and navigate your way to Billavista's tech repository.....there's a .pdf of the AX15 service manual there amongst the millions of other great tech info. It covers the complete teardown and reassembly of the AX15, you can see the parts I'm talking about. There's a plug on the passenger side intermediate plate (I think) that holds the check ball/spring assembly I'm talking about.

Jeff

You were right on. I took the spring and ball out and got it to shift out of reverse. It was shifting great into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but would not go into 4th. Now the pos is stuck in 5th. Going to take it apart soon. Thanks for all the tips and support. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Always open to any other suggestions.

Thanks