rear bumper options? s-10?

i seem to remember something i saw on here recently about the s-10 bumper being a viable option for getting a nicer rear bumper for old blue. can anyone tell me if this is a good idea, and are there any other trucks i should be looking at for this? --- just looking for a good, inexpensive alternative. thanx.

If you've got any kind of fabrication skills at all anything is possible. From what I've seen of the two all it would take is fabricate or modify the mounting brackets. MJ mounts from side and bottom. S10 side only. Only got a '85,'87 and '89 S10, so don't know about earlier or later models.

The following data came from a 1989 MJ and a 1985 S10. The face plate on the MJ is the same length as the S10 bumper. Add the 2 end pieces makes it 4" wider. The MJ mounting points are 4"wider than the S10 frame. I see no reason why you couldn't take a 4"X8"X1/4" or 3/8" steel plate, Approximate, Drill 2 holes in each one to match the MJ bottom of frame mounting holes And drill 2 more, Or weld, to match the S10 bracket. That would be a basic mount. To really get DeLuxe add a upright by welding,to each plate to match the MJ original vertical side mounts. Do all welding on the S10. Not the MJ. :smart: