clunk in front end

I heard a clunk / bang when I turned the wheel quick to the left. It's comming from here

Image Not Found

here is the other end bolted to the frame

Is this actually part of the steering, or a stabalizer? I'm really hoping that I can buy just new bushings for it, and not a whole new rod. Also how does this thing come apart?? One more question, should I be able to use my truck to and from work, or should I be parking it untill the weekend when I can mess with it??? Thanks, Jim

That's your trackbar. It's what keeps the axle centered under the truck and prevents side to side movement.

Right now it's a clunk, but it'll get worse and develop into death wobble. You can replace the bushing on the axle, but unfortunately if the TRE on the frame side is bad, you'll need a new trackbar. I would look into an adjustable designed for lifts(even if you're not lifting), simply for the fact that adjustables have replaceable ends.

Check to make sure the bolt hole in the axle bracket hasn't wallowed out when you replace it.

Geonovast, thanx for the info...I've seen talk about the "death wobble" but never paid attention. Stupid me ! I don't think the "TRE" side...no idea what that stands for :doh: is bad. The only noise is from the "bushing" side. Advance Auto has 2 seperate bushings, a 1 piece, and a 2 piece. The 2 piece looks easier to install. Is there like a cotter pin at the top of the ......nut? It's really hard to get to / see, I have a 2WD and it's low to the ground. Thanx again for the info, I guess I have a job to do this comming weekend.

TRE is Tie Rod End. It's the end that's in the bracket which is mounted to the framerail. There are no bushings in that. The rubbery part you see between the end of the trackbar and the bracket is nothing more than a grease boot. If that part goes bad, the bar must be replaced.

The axle side bushing may be all it is. If it is, you're lucky. There's a nut inside the bracket on the bolt, and you should see a tab hanging down that's attached to the nut.

Check to make sure the part of the bar the bushing is in isn't oval, and the hole for the bolt isn't mishapen.

You do not want Death Wobble. Death Wobble is not fun.

r u sure thats the spot making the noise?

theres alot of stuff down there and noises can be very decieving.

do the test for bearings, etc.

look around for smushed or missing bushings, loose bars, on mine, after i replaced almost everything in the front of my truck, i found out that my noise was the diffrientials.....so you basically gotta make sure 100% where this noise is coming from for a proper diagnosis :thumbsup:

I was laying on my back and had the wife turn the wheel sharp both ways (engine off of corse) and it was REALLY pronounced at the bushing side. Everything else seemed pretty tight...and quiet. I'll put the bushings in this weekend, hope that takes care of the problem.