2.5 engine removal

Hey everyone, I'm planning to pull my 2.5L 4 cylinder engine out to replace all the gaskets. Just wondering where the best lifting points on the engine are?? I'm going to use one of our tractors to lift it out. I was also planning on taking the engine out by itself and leaving the transmission and transfer case in the truck. Does anyone have any tips or tricks and any other things I should do while I have the engine out? Its an 86 3 speed auto.

When I removed mine, I had bring it out at a 45 deg angle to clear the front of the jeep. This was with the radiator removed. I had two chains connected to the motor mount adapters (don't know the actual name). The actual metal-enlcosed rubber mounts were still attached to the frame. All I had to do was let gravity work it's course. The front end tilted up once I took the motor mount bolts out and just lifted the engine out with the hoist. Only other thing I would suggest to do with the engine out is to rebuild it :D If it isn't needed and/or within your budget leave it as is I guess. :thumbsup:

I did think about rebuilding it. I guess I will find out if its necessary once its out of the truck. The engine has about 180,000 kilometers (110,000 miles) on it but its still runs good, although it does have a bit of a knock sometimes. Did you remove any of the intake first before pulling the engine out?

I already had the manifolds and all the other accessories removed since I was doing a complete rebuild. Even the oil pan was off so I was only pulling the block and head out. As for your knock, my guess would be bearings or maybe your bolts holding your torque converter are loose. If you are pulling the engine to replace gaskets, (I assume you will be doing the pan gasket) good time to inspect your bearings. Rockauto.com has some screaming deals on the .010 undersize and regular size main bearings ($23 a set for Sealed Power brand). Connecting rod bearings are $22 a set.

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check the bearings once the pan is off. Is there any other spots to hook onto the engine to pull it out? I can hook onto the engine mount bracket on the passenger side, but I'm not sure if I can feed the chain down through the intake manifold and hook onto the bracket on the drivers side. I'm just afraid of breaking the intake manifold if the chain gets up against it when I'm lifting it. Or am I worrying too much?? :dunno:

I generally pull one of the intake manifold bolts out, upper rear, and replace it with a longer bolt to hook the chain to the engine for a pull. You really don't want to pull just off the intake manifold, but with a chain just up against it is not a problem.

Okay thanks :D . Thats a good idea. I wasn't going to pull on the intake manifold, I was just looking at how the chain would fit down through the manifold and hook onto the engine mount on the drivers side. I noticed that the chain wouldn't pull straight up, but would kinda hit the manifold as it would become tight.