belt change on 86 with amc 2.5

So my manuals havent showed up yet, and I'm actually stumped as to what exactly I'm supposed to do! The skinny belt that goes to the alternator, easy. The belt in the back I can't figure out. I don't see any kind of bracket to loosen at the PS pump. The alternator slides so that belt slipped right off. I just wanna know the secret, or the order at which I start takin pulleys off and fighting them back on! Thanks in advance.

I see why no one posted. I figured it out, just didnt fiddle with it enough....and all the grease was blocking my vision :ack:

The power steering pump does swivel, but in kind of an odd way. I loosened 3 15mm bolts and 1 14mm bolt that it pivoted on. Just puttin that up there in case anyone else gets a brain fart, since none of my searches concluding to verify that info.

But on a side note, after a tune-up shes running great! Few more things to do and I get her inspected!

Yea thats what I come to find out! My haynes manual only has it as a serpentine style belt for th 4cyl. Google yields nothing, so now the info is out there! Maybe I'll ad some pics to my first post to make it more useful. It wasnt hard, just had the puzzled for a second.

Also another note that was kinda a :hmm: moment, was the belts for the AMC have 'vertical' ribs, instead of the regular horzontal ones like on a 4.0. The previous owner (god knows who that was and when!) apparently put the belts on upside down (with the ribs and taper out) When I put the new ones on, it was obivous which way they went, so I duno! But either way, she idles a little smoother with them adjusted properly and the fan clutch re-checked (it was wobbling before) and it was just not tight.

• 1 year later...
I see why no one posted. I figured it out, just didnt fiddle with it enough....and all the grease was blocking my vision :ack:

The power steering pump does swivel, but in kind of an odd way. I loosened 3 15mm bolts and 1 14mm bolt that it pivoted on. Just puttin that up there in case anyone else gets a brain fart, since none of my searches concluding to verify that info.

But on a side note, after a tune-up shes running great! Few more things to do and I get her inspected!

I just figured this out myself, and I think you only need to loosen the center 14mm pivot bolt. I'll add pictures, so people can see what I'm talking about.

The pivot bolt is the one my finger is on. The other three bolts just hold the plate covering the pivot area, which is what makes it confusing the first time.

You can just see the start of the arc in which the assembly slides here:

When finished, you want it parallel again, like this:

Yes, I know this topic is old, but now it has pictures and can help somebody else.