Hanging Idle?

I was in some serious stop and go traffic today (lots of clutching), following a half and hour 75 mph highway run in moderate traffic (semis were passing me!). Newly swapped 3.55 rear end + 5-speed + 28" tires = :D

I noticed in the stop and go traffic that my idle would hang at 800 RPM then drop back to the "normal" 500 rpm after about 20-30 seconds while stopped. Is this normal? :???: I actually like the idle better at 800 RPM, Less worry about stalling out when starting off in 1st gear.

800 is probly closer to right anyways, may want to pull the idle air control from the throttle housjng and give it a good cleaning with some carb cleaner. You can adjust the idle up a little if you want the higher idle

Thanks Oizarod115, I carefully cleaned the IAC about a month ago and it didn't change anything. I was going to pull the throttle body to clean it as well, but stripped the last torx bolt that holds the intake tube on. PB blasted the heck out of it prior too :headpop: Vice grips didn't work, so I gave up until I can get a hold of a bolt extractor...

Whats the best way to go about adjusting the idle?

From what I understand, there is no way to manually adjust idle speed. It's controlled by the ecm from the inputs of of all the engine sensors

True.......But there is also a adjustment screw on the back of the TB where the throttle lever sits, and this can "fine" tune the idle up or down.

From what I understand, there is no way to manually adjust idle speed. It's controlled by the ecm from the inputs of of all the engine sensors

True.......But there is also a adjustment screw on the back of the TB where the throttle lever sits, and this can "fine" tune the idle up or down.

right, if yuo manually adjust the idle screw you're going to need a teensy tiny allen and then afterwards you need to check the adjustment on the TPS to be sure the computer knows that the throttle is still "closed" since you just opened it a little bit.

you ought to be able to safely adjust the screw while it's running so that you can get a good feel for where its at.