Dana 44 Retainer Plate Question

I'm overhauling my Dana 44 and was wondering why I couldn't use the retaining plates from a Dana 35. I know the hole is smaller than the ones for the 44, but it looks like it will still clear the seal lips. Other than that, although it is dimensionally slightly smaller, the bolt pattern and thickness are the same. Has anyone been down this road before? My 44 retaining plates are wasted and I have a pair of like new ones from a 35. Thanx

if your alread overhauling it anyway you might as well just try it out. if anything it's a lesson well learned and you can't lose anything other than a little bit of time because you'll have to buy new ones if these don't work, but if they do you just saved money.

Thanx for the responses, y'all! I'm not only gonna do that, but I'm gonna go ahead and use all of the 10 x 1 3/4 brake stuff from the 35, 'coz it's durn near "brandy new", too! My '88 Eliminator 2WD will never go more off road than a cow pasture road, and the only time you have to stop or slow down in Florida is to make a U-turn! And southern Florida is flatternapancake! They'll do until I get around to an Exploder disc brake conversion. Thanx again!