Squeeky Speedo Cable...?

Alright, well just today on a short Highway trip my Speedometer cable began making a very noticable squeeking noise. Does it just need lubed up, or possibly replaced. I know its the cable since it varies with speed and the noise is defently from inside the truck. Any other tips or anything else 2 look for.

thanks jamminz.gif

Yeah the needle has become somewhat unstable and bouncy over the past week or so. Ive never messed with a speedo cable before and don't really know anything about where it is or anything on out trucks. I'm prepared 2 tear into the dash since i might as well replace a few bulbs in there as well.

I would start at the bottom, alt ho is more likely that the top is where the problem is. Notice the orientation of the "C" shaped bracket that holds in the speedo gear. there are two Lil ""tits" that index the retainer.

The bottom is easier and you will need to get under there to unbolt the DS LCA nut anyhow. That is where the factory attached the speedo cable. You will need this "slack" to get the dash apart anyhow.

CW

Ha Ha Yep thats the 1st thing that came 2 mind......I was with a friend and after it began i said "You know you drive a Jeep when a problem arrises and you already begin on thinking about other things to replace/upgrade while doing the repair" jamminz.gif

Maybe i should just find a renix full cluster and upgrade that while I'm in there, or am i going overboard...lol :yes: :rotf:

Yeah i know.....i guess ill pull out the current cluster and lube up the cable, that way ill atleast get an idea of whats involved back there and if a 88-90 era cluster becomes available ill likely give that a go.

I take it lubing/replacing a speedo cable is pretty striaght forward from what ive read :dunno: :smart:

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I'm still chasing this issue.....i had everything apart this weekend and noticed the cable really has no way for lube or contaminates to get inside it, i removed the plastic connector and tryed to get the nozzle down in the cable but noticed that there was a bushing with a hole no larger than the cable itself, the cable spun freely and seemed fine.....However I'm thinking it could be coming from the Speedo itself, even though i put a new cluster in i used the orgional speedo, since its all mechanical I'm sure a spray of WD40 or some type of lube on the speedo gears themselves may be in order. I have the graphite base spray i was going to use on the cable, would that be alright on the speedo gears? or should i lean towards something more triditional? I know the sound is from right behind the dash and the speedo itself is my last culprit.

Any other info would be great. Thanks!