my new 86 xls

Just got a 1986 comanche xls with a 2.5l i4 and a 5 speed transmission. Dana 35s front and rear. Body is pretty bad but i think i can make it work. Plan on fixin the body and then lifting it with a 3 inch rustys add a leaf and 2 inch shackles and coil spring spacers. Then finding some 31x10.50x15 hopefully claw. Possible 4.7 canidate in my mind if i can come up with the money to build one.

SSPX0236.jpg

SSPX0231.jpg

SSPX0230.jpg

SSPX0229.jpg

I imagine you have a D30 front, not 35. The D30 was the only front axle available.

Ford Exploders use D35 front axles.

Also, you can't link images on your own computer, and this site doesn't host images, so you'll have to host them off site (Photobucket, flicker, etc.) to be able to post them.

2" shackles will not lift a Comanche 2". And an 86 needs extensive front end modification (and possibly a firewall massage with a BFH) to be able to fit a 4.0 block. That includes 4.5-5.0 strokers.

And lastly:

Welcome to the addiction! There's no turning back now.

2 inch lift shackle for an MJ will lift you up 2 inches. This, however, means that they're at least 4 inches longer than your stock shackles.

If you're looking to get about 5 inches of lift, your best option is simply doing an SOA conversion. All it'll cost you is a set of spring perches, some welding, and a longer brake hose. If you do it right, you won't even need longer shocks.

On top of that, many people will tell you to stay away from Rusty's. Also, you can't realistically do 5+ inches of lift up front with just spacers. A lift that high up front you need new everything. All 4 control arms(preferably adjustable), track bar(preferably adjustable), shocks, coils, sway bar links, brake hoses, etc etc.

A lift that high is going to be expensive. Lifts, and especially strokers, aren't something you try on a budget. Do it right or don't do it.

Good place to read up in strokers : http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/index.php

The rear axle is not centered on the leafs. It's more like a 40/60 split. That means for 2" of lift the shackles need to be not 4, but 5" longer. I don't know of anybody that makes a shackle that length. Some companies mistakenly believe that an XJ 2" lift shackle lifts an MJ 2", but that is wrong. An XJ 2" lift shackle is 4" longer than a stock XJ shackle, but only 2" (?) longer than an MJ shackle, and thus only 2" longer than a stock Comanche shackle. This means it would lift a Comanche maybe 3/4".

The rear axle is not centered on the leafs. It's more like a 40/60 split. That means for 2" of lift the shackles need to be not 4, but 5" longer. I don't know of anybody that makes a shackle that length. Some companies mistakenly believe that an XJ 2" lift shackle lifts an MJ 2", but that is wrong. An XJ 2" lift shackle is 4" longer than a stock XJ shackle, but only 2" (?) longer than an MJ shackle, and thus only 2" longer than a stock Comanche shackle. This means it would lift a Comanche maybe 3/4".

EXACTLY!! ... jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

Just for clairty, Stock XJ shackles are approx 3.5" eye to eye and stock MJ shackles are approx 5.5" eye to eye.

CW