Rear Drum Brake Swap Question D35 to 8.25

So the 8.25 XJ axle I got has some tiny drums compared to the D35 drums on my MJ.

I would like to know if I can swap the D35 drums to the 8.25 axle? Is it possible? Even better, bolt on?

I know about the Liberty rear disk swap, but I want to keep the costs to a minimum for right now. Thanks

Dana 35s came with two different brake sizes. Up through 89 or 90, they got the 10 inch diameter drums with skinnier pads, then they went to the 9 inch diameter drums with wider pads. The 9 inch drums, and all brake components are the same as the 9 inch brakes on the 8.25.

The backing plates are even the same, except the 8.25 ones have a slightly larger center hole.

The 10 inch stuff cannot be put on a 9 inch D35 or 8.25.

8.25 has a larger rear drum it takes bigger shoes but the same wheel cyl and springs

The drums on my '88 D35 are definately bigger in diameter (and has cooling fins on the outside of the drum) then the drums on my '98 XJ 8.25 axle donor axle :???:

I've tried putting d35 brakes on an 8.25....NOT interchangeable

Thank you JeepcoMJ! :cheers: Guess I'll have to deal with the tiny drums until I save up for the Liberty disc conversion.

disc conversion is from the grand cherokee zj, NOT the liberty. early liberties had drums.

8.25 has a larger rear drum it takes bigger shoes but the same wheel cyl and springs

The drums on my '88 D35 are definately bigger in diameter (and has cooling fins on the outside of the drum) then the drums on my '98 XJ 8.25 axle donor axle :???:

Yes... your D35 has the 10 inch diameter brakes. 8.25s got 9 inch diameter brakes.

Typically the 10 inch diameter drums got 1.75" wide pads, 9 inch drums got 2.5"

I've only heard of the 10 x 2.5 on the D44.

Yes... your D35 has the 10 inch diameter brakes. 8.25s got 9 inch diameter brakes.

Typically the 10 inch diameter drums got 1.75" wide pads, 9 inch drums got 2.5"

I've only heard of the 10 x 2.5 on the D44.

Thank you Geonovast. Interesting, less leverage, but more surface area. Kind of a toss up in stopping power, no?

i did not know that.

the only liberty I've seen in the junkyard had factory drum brakes in the rear.

No, I was wrong, liberty BRAKE CABLES, ZJ Calipers and backing plates

EDIT again lol:

Liberty brakes are an alternative (I posted the wrong link above):

KJ Discs:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=977809&highlight=liberty