how can that be . . . Thats goofy . . . 88' 2.5L TBI

I noticed the last few times a drove MJ any distance i could smell hot oil every now and then, but i could never track it down.

The other day while checking my i noticed my starter was fairly oil coated its about a month old, then i snooped a little more and noticed the new exhaust had some oil dripped on it as well . . .

yet my oil level is still full :fs1: where could be leaking from :???:

Mike

push your dipstick all the way in.

I had an '86 xj with an '88 mj 4 cylinder in it and didn't put the dipstick all the way in once. ended up spraying ALL of the oil out of the dipstick tube. after figuring that out, filling it, and cleaning out the PCV hoses, it never happened again.

Dip stick is all the way in just checked it had it running a few couple min's about 3min i saw nothing spraying . . . engine seems some what dry for it age and mileage, but the thing doesn't have any blow by . . . none at all I ran it with the oil cap off a few times on and off no smoke no air flow nothing . . . Seems to be very healthy Mechanically . . .

But it has sat like 5-7years before i got it . . . I'm guessing dried out gasket or seal . . .

Mike

Not that i could easily see :dunno: I don't know for sure tho . . . I bought the truck from a guy who parked due to brake failure it sat 5-7 years, bought it did the brake job drove racked up about 30-50miles parked it another year now i have about 900 miles on it driven daily . . .

Dried out Valve cover gasket ?

Mike

Not that i could easily see :dunno: I don't know for sure tho . . . I bought the truck from a guy who parked due to brake failure it sat 5-7 years, bought it did the brake job drove racked up about 30-50miles parked it another year now i have about 900 miles on it driven daily . . .

Dried out Valve cover gasket ?

Mike

dried out cracked up valve cover more likely...it's a plastic valve cover. I would upgrade to an aluminum valve cover.