coolant leak 2.5

I've had this antifreeze smell since I got the engine (2.5) rebuilt last summer. I've tightened up hose clamps, replaced hoses, etc. I had a couple of badly installed valve stem seals, so I had the head off this summer, and put it back without incident - new head and intake gaskets. I was messing around with the MJ today and noticed a poof of smoke coming off the header down low, as antifreeze was dripping off the driver's back corner of the block.

I can't get a really good look at where it's coming from, but just above where the coolant is pooling, there looks like a plug is screwed into the block, and has an allen head. It's not a freeze plug, bc they're hammered into the block, right? I'm HOPING that it's not head gasket, but I would think I'd have other problems (vacuum leak, etc) other than some dripping antifreeze.

Ideas? Reassurance? I'll kill myself if I have to take the head off again. image_209027.gif

Thanks

Tom

Yeah, they do have a coolant passage, but I think it's up front?? Where do you suppose it would be leaking from, the gasket?

mmm...not too sure truth be told. I gave away my last 4 cyl intake/exhaust setup so I can't go out and look :-/

yeah, coolant enters the manifold at the back, there's an angled fitting that a hose slips over. It then exits the front of the manifold, and goes back to the thermostat housing area IIRC.

But, there is a block drain plug toward the rear of the block, a bit above and behind the motor mount on the driverside. It's just a regular pipe plug (3/8 coarse thread, I think). Betcha that's where your leak is. Try to skinny a 3/8" ratchet up in there and see if you can snug that plug up. It's just like the drain plug on a D35, the ratchet head slips into the plug.

Lemme see if I can find a side pic of my 4.0 block when I rebuilt it....it has the same plug in the same spot.

Jeff

Yeah, that's what it looks like, Jeff. Since it was a balmy 43 degrees today and supposed to be tomorrow (warmest in weeks), I'm gonna give that a try tomorrow. I'll be happy as a pig in you-know-what if it's that easy. Rebuilder maybe didn't snug it up enough.

Tom