Want to use a NP242 with AX-15... SWAP Q's

Hi all,

Anyone have this setup?

Collecting up parts for my 4x4 swap :yes: Just scored an external slave bellhousing from a 2wd AX-15 :banana:

I want use the 242 transfer case with the AX-15 tranny. I've found from searching that I want a 91+ 23 spline unit. Also, from searching, all 95+ units apparently have different input/output shaft lengths etc.

Does this mean that I should grab an AX-15 and 242 from the same years?

Also, what front driveshaft would I need? What length rear driveshaft for a short bed with 3" lift? EDIT: I will be using a 8.25 for the rear end. Thanks!

it's practically the same driveshaft length, if anything slightly shorter so since you're lifted i see no reason why you can't run the same shaft you already have.

my brother swapped FROM a 242 to a 231 and re-used shafts, my buddy swapped from 2wd to 242 and used a shaft from his old jeep with a 231. so it seems to me they don't change enough to matter really.

and the linkage will work for both transfer-cases, just needs adjustment, but since you're swapping it TO 4x4 you'll have to adjust that anyways.

my brother swapped FROM a 242 to a 231 and re-used shafts, my buddy swapped from 2wd to 242 and used a shaft from his old jeep with a 231. so it seems to me they don't change enough to matter really.

Your bro had a 242 in a Comanche? I didn't know they were available from the factory like that. Cool

Regarding shafts, I know I have to get the rear shaft cut down going from 2wd to 4wd. I probably should have said I currently have the D35 under the truck.

Here's what i've got: No lift, Ba-10/5, D35 2wd

Want to go: 3" lift, AX-15, NP 242, 8.25

IIRC its -1" when going from D35 to 8.25" 2wd or 4wd aside.

I don't have the lift yet, but 3" and 30" or 31" tire is probably max I want to go. The '97 axles I've got have 3.55 gears.

So for the front shaft, I should be good with the one from the AX-15 donor?

and the linkage will work for both transfer-cases, just needs adjustment, but since you're swapping it TO 4x4 you'll have to adjust that anyways.

Thats good to know! I read the biggest PITA with the swap is messing with the linkage.

Anyone have input on the model year 242 / AX-15 I need with the correct input/output for the AX-15? :???:

MJs were never "officially" offered with the 242, but back then if you were willing to pay for it, pretty much anything was possible. i mean, the parts just swap right out and so any dealership could make it happen.

Thanks again Pete :chillin:

To recap for anyone else searching, when going AX-15 to 242, shaft lengths do not change, transfer linkage requires adjustment, 91+ 23 spline 242 required, and any year AX-15 (all are 23 spline output) trans :cheers: