My winter rebuild starts early

M357.5

Well my 4.0L is knocking/smokeing so its time to replace it. So I was going to build a 4.6L stroker , gathered up all the parts , and then realized I wanted a V8.......so I sold it all to a friend.

So then I decided that this was going to take more time than just a weekend.......so now its off the road for the winter.

Well our winters are long so I figure what the hell......rebuild the whole Jeep.........so now the plan is engine/trans/t-case , long arms , tube bed , exo cage and whatever else the wife will let me spend LOL.

3 years ago I bought two 2wd short box Comanches for $400 , and now I have spent 10 times that........another $4000 and it might almost be done LMAO this jeep is killing my pay cheques. :nuts:

Well I have 2 options for engines and 3 tranny's to chose from.

Engine options are 1) 73 Dodge 360 with a Holley Projection EFI kit , 670 CFM 2BBL Throttle Body , and a Mallory unilight ignition.

2) 93 Dodge 318 Magnum....factory Dakota computer and custom wireing harness.

Tranny options are 1) 727 2) 904 3) A518

Leaning towards the Magnum 318 with the A518 and NP231 combo.......just trying to find out if my Advance Adapters HD SYE will bolt into the 231D ??????

it's a shame they don't offer a bellhousing adapter for the AW4 due to it's "complex" controlling.

You should call them, tell them you've got a manually controlled one and that lots of people do, see if they'll put the effort into making one.

I think that the AW4 could hold up to a mildly built 350. The other option would be to find an AMC small block, they share a bellhousing pattern with the 258 and 242 :) Then you get to keep the current drivetrain, just beef the T-case with chevy parts.

I have the ability to make my own adapter plate to bolt up a chev/dodge/ford to my AW4.........but I already sold the AW4 and the AWShifting control to a friend , he also bought all my 4.6L stroker stuff ( crank/rods/pistons/cam/4.0L HO block + head etc. )

Printed off the Dakota wireing diagrams off SHOP KEY , looks like an easy harness to modify. 230HP and 290 FT LBS aint bad for a 318.....should gain some more with a cold air intake and a set of headers , maybe 250HP and 310 FT LBS.

Shoenfeld headers for a Late Model STOCK CAR , will have to build some heat shields for the firewall ( BIG SHIELD ) and modify the hood a bit too so it don't burn the paint off it LOL use lots of header wrap too.

P.S this will no longer be street legal.....TRUGGY time.

I have the ability to make my own adapter plate to bolt up a chev/dodge/ford to my AW4.........but I already sold the AW4 and the AWShifting control to a friend , he also bought all my 4.6L stroker stuff ( crank/rods/pistons/cam/4.0L HO block + head etc. )

Printed off the Dakota wireing diagrams off SHOP KEY , looks like an easy harness to modify. 230HP and 290 FT LBS aint bad for a 318.....should gain some more with a cold air intake and a set of headers , maybe 250HP and 310 FT LBS.

Right-on I love the 318 very snappy, the 904 is lighter and

I know the 727/904 would be easier to mate with the NP231

I do not know much about the A518 but apparently it will take 800hp and www.high-impact.net has adapters for the Dana18/20 and ford20, nothing the the NP series but its a start

Thanks for the links SQUARE. Drove the Dakota home today , looks like crap but runs like a champ.....have a feeling I should spend some money on Chromo Shafts and some upgraded U-Joints.

The 318/A518 that is in the Dakota already has the 231 on the back of it.....but the t-case has a slip yoke output that is longer than the stock jeep slip yoke. That is why I am trying to find out if the Advance Adapters Heavy Duty SYE kit will bolt up to the 231D. From what I can find the chain in the D version is wider than the J version , but can't seem to find any other info on it ?????

Shoenfeld headers for a Late Model STOCK CAR , will have to build some heat shields for the firewall ( BIG SHIELD ) and modify the hood a bit too so it don't burn the paint off it LOL use lots of header wrap too.

P.S this will no longer be street legal.....TRUGGY time.

Is this a kit or something they already have made up? I'd love to run headers, but I don't have the cash for custom built ones and I don't know of any others that'll fit. Guess I just need to save up for custom ones. 8)

These are pre built for late model stock car chassis. Tubeular fabricated chassis with interior tin kits etc.

The drivers side header actually looks like its upside down and goes over the top of the engine at the back to link up with the passenger side header. The drivers side is swept back a fair bit and I will have to modify it for firewall/hood clearance ( might not have enough room , won't know till I mock it up )