rear break question on an 86

MY buddy just started doing the rear drums on the breaks. When we took both the drums off we noticed a bar that came across both the shoes and had a spring on one side. The other wheel didnt have this bar with the spring. Can anyone tell me what exactly that does and if i need it? When we left it off it was easier to get the shoes and everything on.

ya its easier to put on when not all the parts are there, but you need it. couldn't tell you the technical term for it, and it may be hard to find, not sure, i have about ten laying around, let me know if you want one, i'll send it out for a couple bux to ship.

Alright so we got the drums and everything installed over the weekend but I have the same issue i had before(i probably should have brought this up before) THe break pedal goes about half way down before it actually engages and when you let got it comes back up but you can hear sort of a hissing noise. Never do i actually lose break pressure its just a noise coming from the break pedal soooo new master cylinder or new booster? We already tried bleeding all the breaks unless if there is a special way to bleed them that I overlooked.

did you find that piece you were missing ok?

do you have a rear proportioning valve hooked up, many are missing, or bypassed and it makes the pedal feel kinda low, but also grabby. not sure about hissing.

I still have to paypal you the money and i have no clue what valve your talking about lol. Where could i find that?