Will these gears work on my 88?

need some help to clarify exactly what this guy is selling but if he's got 3.73s for $50, i may jump. i'm assuming these came out of his 05 Unlimited in his sig. i have an 88 w/factory 44 and "trac-lock". i'm 90% certain i have 3.55s, pulls too strong to be 3-oh-7s with my 31s, and too low rpms on the highway to be 4-tens. these are only 30 mins away from me and I think 373's would be my "goldilocks" set. You know, "355s too tall, 410s too low, 373s juuuuusst right".

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835834

All input appreciated. 8)

if it came out of a tj d44 it won't work in another d44. tj d44 is different, the gears are thicker. i just had a d44 tj axle apart, and i did see the difference.

i'm 99,9% sure, i was told it wouldn't work, and i see the difference. wouldn't hurt to verify that other .1% though.

thanks for the input dave and willy.

Willy, that's part of what I was looking for as a response, is if it was worthwhile since I have no experience if that minor change would make a difference. Price just seemed to good to pass up if they would work. Fair enough then, sometime down the road I'll just stick to the original plan and go to 410's then. Not in a hurry so no big deal. :thumbsup:

i do know first hand that change in gears is not noticeable. i was shipped 4.56 gears once when i ordered 4.10, i didn't check and i installed the 4.56 in the rear. i didn't even notice for weeks till i tried to use 4wd. i didn't notice the difference, and i'm very sensitive to vehicles.

In my opinion, 4.10 gears are a pretty good match for 31s. But, don't even bother with used gears, get new gears. New gears really aren't that expensive to begin with. The installation is the expensive part.

If I were you this is what I would do. Find a '97 - '00 XJ D30 with 4.10 gears on Car-Part.com. You can probably find one for a lot less than what regearing your current D30 would cost. Plus you get a couple of advantages on top of that - you get rid of the CAD and you get larger u-joints in the axle shafts. Then I would regear your rear D44 to 4.10 with new gears. That will give you a great, durable set up for 31s.

Willy

In my opinion, 4.10 gears are a pretty good match for 31s.

I agree.

I bought 3.73s with the intention of using them in my XJ with 30" tires. Then I picked up the '88 MJ with the lift and my brother gave me his old 31" tires, so I put the 3.73s into the MJ. Not bad for street (much better than 3.07s) but not really enough gear for 31s. Based on MPH per RPM the overall final drive ratio for 31x10.50s and 3.73 gears is exactly the same as stock tires with 3.55 gears. But ... the 31s are a lot heavier.