small starting issue

I just re-installed my gas tank after a month or two being out of the truck and I just tried to start it tonight and it wouldn't start. It turns over fine but it just never fires up.

All the fuel lines are connected properly, I just think there might not be any fuel in the lines?

Any other ideas as to what it could be??? :dunno:

Did you try cycling the key to build up fuel pressure in the rail before starting? I imagine it would have started assuming it was getting fuel the whole time, but just asking. Can you hear the hum of the fuel pump when you go key on engine off?

And I am also assuming you FILLED the tank after installing. ;)

Rob L.

check what they said ^^

then if you don't have fuel at the rail, check power to the pump

if you DO have fuel at the rail, check spark by pulling a plug wire off, finding something metal and while a friend cranks it see if the wire will spark to the ground (.5" or so gap should do it)

1. Yes I filled the tank. ;)

2. What the heck does cycing the key mean?

3. Don't know if I heard the pump or not, wasn't really listening for it, but will make sure to do so next time.

4. Where's this valve at on the fuel rail?

cycling the key means turning it to the run position and back to the off position on-off-on-off, in a few second intervals.

the valve on the fuel rail looks like the valve on a tire, find the fuel rail and it should have a cap on it, unscrew the cap and depress the schrader (little needle in the middle) if ALOT of fuel shoots out, you're probably good, if a little bit drips out you're not good.

Ok, I just tried that valve on the fuel rail and some ran out of it but it didn't "shoot" out at me just a nice trickle when its fully depressed.

Good thing, bad thing???

Did you cycle the key before pressing the valve to build pressure? (if any)

Rob L.

Ok, I just tried that valve on the fuel rail and some ran out of it but it didn't "shoot" out at me just a nice trickle when its fully depressed.

Good thing, bad thing???

Did you cycle the key before pressing the valve to build pressure? (if any)

Rob L.

Like turning the key on and off right before it starts? I tried that 3 or 4 consecutive times then checked it again with the same results.

Sounds like you don't have enough fuel pressure if its just dribbling out... It sounds like its getting there, but not with sufficient force... Could you hear the pump running while cycling? It will sound like a winshield washer pump under the bed.

Rob L.

Not really, that danged buzzer was all that i could hear! :fs1: I'm 99% sure that the pump is fine, thats half the reason I took the tank out...to put a new pump in. And yes I got the right one, was a PITA but it's the right one.

Anything else to check??