92+ 4.0L radiator in an older 2.5L

Sorry I don't have any pics. But if I'm not detailed enough I can post finished pistures to help you out.

1. Take your old radiator hoses off (Keep the worm gear clamps).

2. Take off the bolts holding the radiator to the brackets on the side. There might be something on the bottom as well but my old radiator support was some kind of wall corner bracing (it was wrecked and rigged by the PO).

3. Now take the 2 screws holding the fan shroud to the radiator.

4. Pull your old radiator out and then the fan shroud.

5. Now the bracket behind the header has to come out. There are 4 bolts that hold that bracket behind the header on and 5? on the header itself. It comes out in 1 piece (at least mine did, my header is broke and after the 4 bolts on top it came out).

6. There are 3 bolts per side that hold the 2 brackets that held the old radiator. You have to take the air box and the battery tray out to get to them (3 nuts each). Mine had a horn on the driver's side bracket but I think it was aftermarket. If it was OEM I will give instructions on how to remove it. Take the bolts off and the brackets out.

7. Now place your new radiator in the foremost core support and get some paint & a small paintbrush. Paint the tops of the 6 screws coming out of the top of the radiator.

8. While it's still wet get a get a buddy to hold the radiator in place while you put the bracket that goes on top back in. Make sure you line it up with the mounting holes for it and set it down straight. Big suprise it hits those screws in the top of the radiator.

9. Now take the bracket off and you will see the marks from the screws.

10. Turn the bracket upside down and you will see the paint marks.

11. Drill holes in the bracket using the paint marks as centering points. I used a little bigger drill bit because my screws were crooked and I wanted to make sure they fit.

12. Now bolt your bracket down and now you can't see your nice new radiator anymore. I didn't put nuts on the screws poking out because I didn't have any and it works fine without them.

13. Now you need hoses, the ones for a 95 Cherokee (upper and lower) work great.

14. Now put your battery tray, battery, and air box back in. Fill it up with new coolant. Put your new cap on and hook up your overflow. Now drink an un-fruity beer. you are done.

My computer was acting screwy towards the end of that post so... Next time you drive by your local scrap yard, give them your old radiator, unless it wasn't useless like mine. This is my first writeup so try not to flame me too much but I would like to know how I did. Thank you and enjoy.

I haven't read completely through, but you might want to break it down more into

'steps' instead of one huge paragraph.

Also, one of the best things you can do with a write-up is lots and lots of pictures. Even just your finished pictures would be good, so whoever does this can at least see if they did something wrong.

I haven't read completely through, but you might want to break it down more into

'steps' instead of one huge paragraph.

:agree:

Punctuation and paragraphs make posts much easier to read. Attempting to decipher run on sentences and huge paragraphs gives me a headache so I usually don't even bother. :thumbsup:

Willy

Root beer? :ack: :ack:

lol another from I'm on is "family friendly" and doesn't allow the drinking of malted hops and barley lol.

CC is also family friendly, but does allow the drinking of beer, except fruity beer, like BudLight Lime. :ack: :ack:

CC is also family friendly, but does allow the drinking of beer, except fruity beer, like BudLight Lime. :ack: :ack:

Don, can we just ban anything that starts with "Bud"? :ack:

I'll take a Miller please. Make it a High Life. :thumbsup:

Rob L.

• 3 years later...

I'd love to see pictures!  I think I'm missing the "bracket that goes on top"??? not sure what this is. I'm assuming the 2.5 sheet metal is different that mounts the radiator close to the engine.

How to Post Pictures:

post your pics on Photobucket, then in your " Your photo's and videos" Library, hover over the pick & click the gear that appears in upper right.

Select "Get Links" from the drop down menu. Select the "Direct Link" and use this to paste into the post.  The wrong link will not display.

You click the picture icon above and paist in the link. This took me awhiole to figure out as well. 

• 5 weeks later...

I hate to bring up the dead, but if I'm reading this right Hayduke replied last month? The "bracket that goes on top" is the top piece of your header panel that your hood latches to. I will be converting my new truck to a newer style radiator soon. I am considering making another writeup (with pictures this time) when I do. Hopefully it will be a little more informative.