How do I remove the fuse box from the wiring loom?

OK guys, I found the source of my floorboard rot and it's at the fuse box. Rain was coming in under the hood, and running down the outside of the firewall. It would run around the slave cylinder mounting bracket and accumulate on the top of the fusebox wiring harness. It would then just leak into the car... nice...

SO, I need to take the fuse box out, but see no easy way of unplugging the loom from the back of the fuse box. Is this possible to do? If so, how?

On a similar note, is there a gasket or something that should be there? Thanks.

Clarke

it's a 8 or 9mm bolt actually.

your floor rot is most likely NOT from water coming through there so much as slave cylinder leaking corrosive brake/clutch fluid down onto your fuse box then dripping below carpet to sit and corrode through floor. this is common. this also means you need to clean your fuse box.

it's a 8 or 9mm bolt actually.

your floor rot is most likely NOT from water coming through there so much as slave cylinder leaking corrosive brake/clutch fluid down onto your fuse box then dripping below carpet to sit and corrode through floor. this is common. this also means you need to clean your fuse box.

I agree, at one point the slave cylinder WAS leaking, but I replaced it years ago. The fluid had actually leaked onto the fuse box and melted some of the plastic...

Now when I tested it this afternoon (close the hood and run water over on the cowl), I saw water coming from the fuse box... The more I think about it, it COULD be coming from the slave cylinder and THEN drip over the fuse box. I'll dig deeper tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

Clarke

there is a foam seal where the fuse box/bulkhead connector goes through the firewall. there should also be another one where the slave cylinder comes through the firewall. there are also several plugs in the firewall in that area.

can you get me a picture from in the engine bay of that area of the firewall?

....I have no leaks from that area in my truck, and I have several holes through the firewall that have no plugs in them anymore...I do not have leaking issues, as I said.

My '88 leaks on the driver's side and I am about 98.73% certain it has to be the fuse panel connector. I have plugged, sealed, or otherwise isolated just about every other possible source of entry and it still leaks heavily when it rains.

before i got rid of mine, fuse box, i had a leak that i could not find. after i stripped everything out , dash etc, i was outside the truck on my knees looking up at the steering column. i saw light coming through which i traced to the top of the hood release cable. a very small hole. i had covered everything with goop, but couldn't get this. now it is no leak. :clapping: