Water leaks and the fuse box

JeffK

So we got our first major down pour this afternoon and afterward I checked the status of my baby powder. The passenger side had some from the door seal and of all places the grommet around the antenna cable. The drivers side was nearly all from around the fuse box. The seal between the cowl and hood is history so water is running down the firewall and then apparently between the fuse box and the big connector in the engine compartment. Is there some type of gasket between this connector and the fuse box?

Mine used to have a white "foam" gasket around the part that comes through from the inside. Now, it has a gasket made from a trashed "neoprene" seatcover that I found in the junkyard. I also went ahead and cleaned the connector on both sides, and reapplied some "NoOx" to them. The NoOx I got from a friend who does telecom work. It waterproofs and corrosion proofs at the same time.

Thanks. Judging from the number my leaking clutch master cylinder did on the fuses and some of the electrical connectors, I'd say that gasket is gone. Is this what you're talking about? NoOx

That's the stuff. My friend gets it in small "tubs" about the size of a potato salad tub. One tub will lasts for several years, for an auto enthusist. I use it for all the electrical connections in my vehicles. I have had no trouble in years, including the fusebox on my 5 speed XJ.

While NoOx is not a replacement for the gasket, I did tell him how I replaced the gasket on my MJ, and how I have prevented corrosion of the contacts in the plug. His game now.

While NoOx is not a replacement for the gasket, I did tell him how I replaced the gasket on my MJ, and how I have prevented corrosion of the contacts in the plug. His game now.

I understood that, even though I may have not worded it as such in my post. My mistake. I've got a big sheet of neoprene type stuff here to make a new gasket out of. I also picked up some NoOx for the electrical connections.

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup: