Adding AC to a none AC MJ

My truck is an 88 MJ 2wd. Its the base model so it has nothing but a heater and a vent. I would like add AC to it. I have a few donor Cherokee's that I can get parts from if they will work. My truck has a 2.5 so I don't think parts from the 4.0 will work. Its obvious that I could get parts from a 2.5 with AC but around here thats almost impossible. I was wondering if there is any donors that I could get parts from, and what all I need, and is it worth the hassle. Thanks guys.

Bit

All the interior parts will bolt over, but you will need all the right mounting brackets for the engine, the correct condensor and receiver dryer. The condensor is different between the 4.0 and the 2.5 because of the radiator and core support. The AC lines coming from the firewall may work but don't quote me on that. You will need a donor that has the 4 cylinder. I suggest you do this yourself, because when I did it, I had a junkyard get me the parts and I think the brackets came off of a different year 2.5 as mine and the compressor didnt line up just right. I think the compressors themselves are the same though as long as you have one with the same style pulley.

Back to the interior... you will want to pull the ac controls with the HVAC housing, and all the HVAC housing wiring. That is the next stumbling block... the wiring. The HVAC housing wiring I pulled from a 2.8MJ just plugged right into an existing connector in my 2.5 in the general area right behind the radio. The underhood stuff needed some wiring added though. I found an unused connector near the washer bottle... 4 pin connector that has all the wires needed to get the underhood side working with the pressure switch and the compressor clutch relay. Somewhere on here is a downloadable factory service manual that will show all the original wiring diagrams. It was very helpfull. That 4 pin connector is listed as where you would hook up dealer installed AC. If you need more help, PM me and Ill try to get pictures of what I did and what stuff looks like. Good Luck!

The install part I don't think will be a problem, as I am confident I can do the work. The problem is finding the right parts. I will need a wiring diagram, put I can get off of here. See around here there are no MJ's and 2.5 Cherokee's are a no go either. So it looks like I will just be hot. I will keep looking though. I hope when I find a 2.5 Cherokee that its 5spd and 4.10's as I need that stuff too, buts thats another topic.

Bit

sounds like you need to take all donor parts for a 4L while you are at it. :cheers:

Is this swap really all that bad. I have a few 4l jeeps sitting around. Can I use all the AC stuff from the XJ once I get the 4l swapped over.

Bit

If you swap a complete 4.0, then yes, ALL AC peices will work in your MJ. Youll need the engine, trans, all wiring in engine bay and dashboard, radiator and core support, transfer case, have a new rear diveshaft made, front axle, rear axle too if gearing isnt the same, and if you do swap the rear axle, youll need to have new spring perches welded on to be able to mount an XJ axle in an MJ :thumbsup: . Just gut the 2.5 of everything and swap all of your donor vehicle parts over including the AC. Good luck!

If you swap a complete 4.0, then yes, ALL AC peices will work in your MJ. Youll need the engine, trans, all wiring in engine bay and dashboard, radiator and core support, transfer case, have a new rear diveshaft made, front axle, rear axle too if gearing isnt the same, and if you do swap the rear axle, youll need to have new spring perches welded on to be able to mount an XJ axle in an MJ :thumbsup: . Just gut the 2.5 of everything and swap all of your donor vehicle parts over including the AC. Good luck!

When you talk about wiring behind the dash are talking about just AC wires or all of them. Are the all the wires kinda plug and play or will I have to cut and spice alot. Obviously I will have to take computer and all so that will bolt right in the 2.5, but any other wires will I have to cut and splice. I guess I would remove my whole 2.5 wiring harness? At this point I am in gathering of parts stage. I still drive my truck and it runs fine. The few XJ's I have are 4wd, so I still need to find a 2wd.

Bit