Dana44 paint and install questions

I finally bought a 44 and have been busy cleaning it up and getting the brake lines off with out stripping out anything.

I need to paint the axle. So far I have been spending my evenings with a wire brush taking off the year of rust, crust, and grease. Now that it is getting down to bare metal, I need to decide on paint for this thing. I am not looking for show quality suggestions, simply tough paint that will keep the 44 in good shape. I have thought about POR15, Rustoleum "Hammered", and Tractor paint.

On to the the install:

I have the LWB d44 driveshaft. What U-Joints would you recommend? I have the Tom Wood Gold Seal Joints on my Rubicon and have had good luck with them. What 'series' of joint with the MJ D44 shaft require?

http://www.4xshaft.com/GoldSeal.html

U-Bolts and Spring Plates:

I have read this forum posting several times for reference: What stores carry U-Bolts

In reading that, I am unsure of what to do about the spring plates. I am staying in stock configuration with the stock leafs. Will my D35 spring plates work with the D44 or will I need to purchase D44 specific plates? If the two plates are different, what makes them unique?

Brakes:

The axle has the factory drums still installed. I need to replace these brake lines. I have read through several postings about replacing the hard lines on the vehicle, not much about the axle end. Will the lines from the D35 work on the D44? I know their lengths are different because of the axle vent location, but can they be swapped. My D35 lines are in very good condition with no rust.

Thanks for the help!

I finally bought a 44 and have been busy cleaning it up and getting the brake lines off with out stripping out anything.

I need to paint the axle. So far I have been spending my evenings with a wire brush taking off the year of rust, crust, and grease. Now that it is getting down to bare metal, I need to decide on paint for this thing. I am not looking for show quality suggestions, simply tough paint that will keep the 44 in good shape. I have thought about POR15, Rustoleum "Hammered", and Tractor paint.

On to the the install:

I have the LWB d44 drive-shaft. What U-Joints would you recommend? I have the Tom Wood Gold Seal Joints on my Rubicon and have had good luck with them. What 'series' of joint with the MJ D44 shaft require?

http://www.4xshaft.com/GoldSeal.html

U-Bolts and Spring Plates:

I have read this forum posting several times for reference: What stores carry U-Bolts

In reading that, I am unsure of what to do about the spring plates. I am staying in stock configuration with the stock leafs. Will my D35 spring plates work with the D44 or will I need to purchase D44 specific plates? If the two plates are different, what makes them unique?

Brakes:

The axle has the factory drums still installed. I need to replace these brake lines. I have read through several postings about replacing the hard lines on the vehicle, not much about the axle end. Will the lines from the D35 work on the D44? I know their lengths are different because of the axle vent location, but can they be swapped. My D35 lines are in very good condition with no rust.

Thanks for the help!

I would strip to bare metal (As you say you have done) and coat with two coats of POR15. Then top coat with what ever you like. :D I too have recently been liking the Rustoleum Hammered paint.

I prefer to buy the spicier HD joints. Napa joints have been very good as well.

If you read the thread Ubolts thread, you know what I prefer for the spring plates. I would think you could easily alter the factory plate to work with the 44 if need be.

I would just bend up new lines. They are cheap and can be made easily to fit perfectly. As for the brakes. If you haven't done so already, I would completely rebuild them and have the drums turned or replace them as well.

Good luck,

CW