Chevy C20 pickup driveline question

mjeff87

There's what looks to be an early to mid-80's C20 pickup down at the junkyard behind the fence. Can't get up close to look at it, but hopefully they'll be putting it out in the 'yard in a couple of weeks.....all I can see is that it has 8 lug axles on it (2WD). Any idea what the engine/tranny combo might be in it? What are the odds on it having a 454 (probably 2-bolt mains, but.....still a 454) under the hood?

If it does, I think I just found the drivetrain for the Nova build :D

Jeff

If I remember correctly the 454 wasnt available in the early to mid 80's gm trucks. I think the biggest engine optoin was a 350..........Doesnt mean someone couldnt have swapped one in there though. I really havent messed with the chevy trucks in a while though so I may be completely wrong.

well, doing a little research, it could have a 250, 305, 350, 454 or a diesel (but it's not a diesel, I know that much).

I don't want no stinkin' small block that I'm gonna have to dump gobs of $$$ into in performance parts to get HP. I just want to drop a BB in it and be done :clapping:

Jeff

The 454 was not around till '90 in the newer '88 style trucks. The biggest option was the 350 in the '80s C/Ks other then the Detroit Diesels. Unless someone did a swap, don't count on the 454 unless you look in the newer '88+ models... mainly the '90 SS package.

~Alex

EDIT: My years were off according to my booklet :doh: