A new member with power steering swap questions

I'm new here I am the mechanic for my stepfathers 88 comanche. It is 2wd with a 2.5 and a 4 speed base model truck. The manual box is completly shot the output has about 3/8" slop. I know that any of the 3 bolt saginaw boxes will fit but are the outputs the same between them I know the pitman arm for the power box is different too. where I have questions is about the pump. It says that the 88-89 pump was different but every jeep pump I see from 88 up looks the same. What pumps can I use and what resiviors will work.

Ian

also If he decides that manual steering is fine I wanted to know if a manual steering s10 box would work? the s10 box acually looks more beefy

here's a comparason the only thing I don't know about is the spline counts on the outputs.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I'm new here I am the mechanic for my stepfathers 88 comanche. It is 2wd with a 2.5 and a 4 speed base model truck. The manual box is completly shot the output has about 3/8" slop. I know that any of the 3 bolt saginaw boxes will fit but are the outputs the same between them I know the pitman arm for the power box is different too. where I have questions is about the pump. It says that the 88-89 pump was different but every jeep pump I see from 88 up looks the same. What pumps can I use and what resiviors will work. Ian

All 87-01 Jeeps (AFAIK) used the Saginaw TC series pump. There were subtle differences with pressure settings, pressure/discharge hose locations, and the reservoir tanks, but they can all be adapted throughout the years to each other. The HO pumps will work with the Renix engines and vice-versa. The hardest thing is adapting the correct mounting brackets for the various engine and accessory combinations for your application, i.e. w. and w/o A/C, intake manifold, etc. Just have to do your homework.

The HO pumps will work with the Renix engines and vice-versa. The hardest thing is adapting the correct mounting brackets for the various engine and accessory combinations for your application, i.e. w. and w/o A/C, intake manifold, etc. Just have to do your homework.

'Tis true.....I'm running an HO pump on my Renix. Everything lined up except I had to fabricate a little spacer for one of the bolts that go into the face of the intake manifold.

But, you're running a 2.5L and yours is a bit different than a 4.0 setup. 2.5's have the fluid resivoir remotely mounted to the fan shroud, not as part of the pump assembly like 4.0's. IIRC the pump itself is the same, so you may be able to use a 4.0 pump but you'll need the remote resivoir and the hoses from a 2.5, unless there's enough space to mount the whole assembly on the front of the engine. I never held one up there when mine was still a 2.5 to see if it would work. Hmmmm......

Jeff