Things for a 4.0 swap?

I'm looking to acquire a '91+ 4.0L, trans, ECU, trans controller, and all that jazz for an engine swap on a non-Jeep vehicle :razz: The acquisition point will, of course, be at my local U-Pull-It. My lil Comanche buddy is a TBI 2.5L, so I'm not all too familiar with the 4.0L set-up.

Is the ECU located under the hood in an easily accesible spot like I think it is?

Where is the trans controller?

Outside of the ignition switch, should there be any wiring that goes into the interior that I need? Here, I was thinking ignition switch, possibly fuse block, gauge cluster.

Any other suggestions? I've done swaps with carbed engines, but this'll be my first fuel infected.

On the 91 and 92 MJ (and 91+ XJ) the ECU is on the inside of the driver's side fender, next to the airbox. I believe the transmission controller is still under the dashboard on the passenger side, like on the Renix years, but I'm not certain on that.

Since this is going into a non-Jeep vehicle, it's impossible to know what wiring you'll need. Best suggestion, IMHO, would be to take the entire harness, and then use the parts you need.

Does the ECU have controls for things outside of the motor? I suppose I'm looking to run the Jeep ECU as a standalone ECU for the motor. The vehicle under the knife is pre-computer days. Lots of vacuum controls though :ack: