Converting from a Peugot to an AW4

OK

How many have done this?

I have the AW4 in and I am about to do the cooling lines/cooler. I have the 'auto' wiring harness as well. I still need to change out the brake pedal and the switch for the torque converter lock up/brake light etc.

The question I have is how many have changed out the steering column to the column shift style or did you change it out to an XJ Auto column and placed the XJ shifter on the floor. Looks like going the XJ route makes the most sense as far as 'work' goes.

I will already have a transfer case shifter in the stock location as well as a Klune shifter on the floor so having the Auto Shifter there wouldn't bother me.

I've done it. Check out the '88 build thread.

I used the XJ floor shifter. It was the easiest route since I had a complete parts XJ. Finding the correct XJ parts would also be a lot easier. :thumbsup:

Willy

I used the XJ floor shifter. It was the easiest route since I had a complete parts XJ. Finding the correct XJ parts would also be a lot easier. :thumbsup:

Willy

Sweet! XJ parts are definitly more plentiful!

Any bizarre issues you ran into (something it took two or more beers to figure out)? image_209027.gif

Willy

Sweet! XJ parts are definitly more plentiful!

Any bizarre issues you ran into (something it took two or more beers to figure out)? image_209027.gif

Lol image_209027.gif nice :cheers:

Initially I was bewildered by the pilot bushing in the end of the crank shaft. :hmm: When I first looked at it I thought the bushing was part of the crank shaft. Unhappy thoughts of tearing the engine apart to replace the crank shaft or getting a completely different engine went through my head. Then a buddy pointed out that it was separate from the crank shaft and helped me remove it with grease and a dowel. :doh:

Besides that there really weren't any surprises. Everything else swapped over pretty easily.

I also didn't bother hooking up the NSS or the transmission/ignition lock.

Willy

Initially I was bewildered by the pilot bushing in the end of the crank shaft. :hmm: When I first looked at it I thought the bushing was part of the crank shaft. Unhappy thoughts of tearing the engine apart to replace the crank shaft or getting a completely different engine went through my head. Then a buddy pointed out that it was separate from the crank shaft and helped me remove it with grease and a dowel. :doh:

Besides that there really weren't any surprises. Everything else swapped over pretty easily.

Willy

If the pilot bushing was indeed part of the crank... why would you need to remove it? Does part of the converter actually sit in that hole? I've never had an automatic apart.

Willy

If the pilot bushing was indeed part of the crank... why would you need to remove it? Does part of the converter actually sit in that hole? I've never had an automatic apart.

Yes, in the middle of the torque converter is a piece that occupies the same space as the pilot bushing. I am guessing it is probably to help center the torque converter.

Willy

Yes, I used the pedal and switch from the auto. I don't remember having to splice anything. I moved the entire wiring harnesses for the transmission over. I think the brake switch for the brake lights was the same for both. If I did have to swap that switch, it wasn't anything more than swapping them and plugging in the auto switch. I did have add the extra brake switch that the transmission computer uses.

Willy

I'm doing the wiring on Crackers conversion, we're missing that switch and part of the wiring. I may have to hit a junkyard then, and find the rest of it. :)

Did you wire in the power/comfort switch, or just hardwire it to power?

Thanks.

I didn't wire in the power/comfort switch. I still need to look through the wiring diagrams so I can hard wire it. I'm pretty sure it's in comfort right now. One of the things on my to do list that I'll eventually get around to. :roll:

Willy