Welding help

Deleted user

wow. talk about differing opinions. so here's mine.

for your use, a smaller 120 with flux will work just fine. for the big stuff, you'll have to crank up the amps to burn through the thicker metal. of course the smaller welder will not burn through thick metal, but most will do up to 1/4". flux core works great. you just need to practice with it.

cheap welders are, cheap. they do work though. it just takes alot more work to get a nice weld. imho it takes more time than it's worth. spend a little more and you'll have more time to do other things. if it's all you can afford, it's better than nothing.

as an example, my brother has absolutely no training or experience with welding. he got a little lincoln weld pak flux core welder. he loves it and i've been impressed with his welds. he is really improving and it has been a great way to start. his welds aren't perfect, but he's getting better.

i have used a stick welder on aluminum. of course it was a long time ago. it's not great, but it works. they used it in the "old days". :yes: a good mig with gas and solid wire will weld aluminum very well. it used to be that "mig welded" was a selling point for an aluminum item (say a bike).

there are other methods of welding too, such as braze welding. braze welding works great on thin sheetmetal or old sheetmetal.

i hope to buy a tig this summer. it takes a little longer to do, and more experience to get it down, but the welds can be a work of art.

so there's my opinion thrown in to complicate your decision making. ;) ;) ;) ;)

I did some welding today.....

These are welds from my 115V Hobart handler 140 with .030 flux core wire on .125 and .250 steel.

I haven't changed my opinions, and I don't post this to confuse you. I still suggest a 220v machine, but with some experience a 115v welder using flux core wire can weld 1/4" steel very well.

CW

CW,

Ive pretty much decided to bite the bullet and get my garage wired for 220. One last question and ill quit asking. i know you like the mig but the difference in mig and stick is the mig needs gas or flux, and the stick doesnt need gas to do the same job with from what I'm gathering is less splatter than flux right

Stick has flux built in,, mig w/flux is about the same as stick,,, both have to be chipped, brushed, and clean before you make another pass, or weld. Flux does the same thing as mig with gas, all both do is cover the weld and keep air from oxidizing the weld. The only thing is a mig with gas you don't have to chip off the slag that any flux will leave behind.

GMAW, or Gas Metal Arc Welding or mig w/argon, argon/co2= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_metal_arc_welding

SMAC, or Shielded Metal Arc Welding, or Stick=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_metal_arc_welding

FCAW, or Flux Core Arc Welding, or mig w/flux core (duh)=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux-cored_arc_welding

When considering a stick welder you also have to choose what type of electrode, "stick", or "rod" to use as there is a bunch of different ones with different properties. So many different choices that it'll make you head spin,, I usually stick with using 6010 and 7018 rods. Some of those electrodes must be kelp warm (7018), or they will soak up the humidity in the air and pretty much be ruined. Along with different types is different sizes in diameters. Just like there is different sizes, or diameters of wire for migs. Click the paragraph to find a decoding electrodes number page.

Stick welding IMHO takes more practice to learn how to do.. In stick you don't have a trigger like you do in Mig, or Tig. You have to learn how to "strike an Arc" and keep the arc going.

One of the only benefits IMHO of using a stick over Mig is with some rods you can weld through paint, rust, and coatings. Making it quicker if you don't have to clean the weld surface completely before welding.

If I were buying a welder I would go with a gas mig.. It's so much easier and faster. I still stand behind if you want to really learn on how to weld go take a class at some tech school to get the basics of everything on doing it then make a decision on what kind of welder to buy after you get more knowledge on the skill.

Welding is a learned skill it takes doing it to learn how. don't just go buy a welder and start welding projects before you have a good practice of doing it.. You will destroy the project without practice. Its better to destroy some scrap pieces before you destroy anything like new floor pans, exhaust, steel bumpers, and dog boxes....

What are yalls opinions on a good MIG welder? alot of the 110 migs ive looked at will handle 1/4 inch steel which is more than i need for minor repair/fab work, ive found two thus far Hobart 140 and one from norther tool http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200355917 any thoughts for or against either or suggestions as to brand and model

What are yalls opinions on a good MIG welder? alot of the 110 migs I've looked at will handle 1/4 inch steel which is more than i need for minor repair/fab work, I've found two thus far Hobart 140 and one from norther tool http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200355917 any thoughts for or against either or suggestions as to brand and model

The Hobart Handler140 is what I have. It IS a Miller by another name as Miller owns both. My "gun" even says miller on it. Personally, I would buy a Lincoln, Miller or Hobart. Of the three, I found Hobart to be the most cost effective.

CW