best 40 bucks i've spent in a while.......

brdhntr

i was checking out craigslist this morning and found a canoe listed. the add posted just minutes before i went on, otherwise i'm sure it would've been gone. it's an older fiberglass that the owner had backed a trailer into, making a large "dent". i didn't know that fiberglass could dent like this, but it did. so i decided i'd make the guy an offer and see what happens. i'm not afraid of a little fixing. i asked the guy what his bottom price was and he just gave me a dumb look. i couldn't get an idea out of him so i said i'd give him $40 for it (as a joke). he thought a second and said ok.

what??!! is this guy serious? a 16' canoe for 40 bucks!!! i couldn't get it on top of my truck fast enough thinking he'd come to his senses. so i took it out to the club and set it there until i have time to work on it. from what i can tell, i'll need to put new foam in the end (stern) to push the fiberglass back out and put a little resin in a couple spots. i think i'm going to take the opportunity to do some modifying that i've always wanted to do for a more custom rig. i'll use it for some general canoeing, fly fishing, and hunting. the majority of the time i'll have a dog or 2 in it so i want to try a few things to add stability to it.

then when i'm done, i'll put a fresh coat of camo tan paint on it (red doesn't work so well for hunting). i can't believe i actually got this deal. what a day. :banana:

My dad and I used to build cedar strip canoes. He still does on occassion. Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with. You can cut out broken and crappy areas, sand it down, then jsut re glass that spot. I recommend using an epoxy rather than resin though.