Transmission from a 2.5l Dakota

I believe from reading other posts that the transmission out of the Dakota 2.5l was a ax-15. If so the bell house would be all i needed to adapt a ax-15 to my 2.5l Comanche.

Just wondering if this is correct or not.

I believe from reading other posts that the transmission out of the Dakota 2.5l was a ax-15. If so the bell house would be all i needed to adapt a ax-15 to my 2.5l Comanche.

Just wondering if this is correct or not.

late 80's early 90's dakota.

According to my factory service manual (96), the AX-15 is used behind the 4.0 and the NV3500 is used behind the 3.9 and 5.2.

My memory is that 2.5 and 3.9 motors received the AX-15 and the 5.2 motors received the NV3500. I think 97 was the change for the 3.9 to get the NV3500.

Leave it to Chrysler to talk about the 4.0 in the Dakota.

I can't really help with the bolt pattern.

2.5L to AX-15/NV3550 w/Dakota bell:

originally posted by YJ4RoX

OK guys i know a few of you are interested in this. Most people say that an AX15 cannot be mated to a 2.5L in place of the weak ax5.

Well thanks to a tip from Greg_5599. I decided to try this swap.

WHat you need is a bellhousing from a 96-98 4 cyl dodge dakota. The dakota uses the same 2.5l as the wrangler but come with the ax15. These are external slave set ups. I found mine on http://www.carpart.com for $65 shipped next day. It is in perfect condition and even has a CPS attached.

The CPS location is in almost the exact location.

The new bell is exactly 1" longer than the old. 6.875 vs 7.875"

I found a used AX15 that came with a new internal slave and my old set up is internal so for simplicity i will be going that route.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181361