extra locks on toolbox

this is my first DIY writeup so bear with me

after having all my tools stolen from me I decided to make my toolbox just a little harder to get into

(damn thieves used a pry bar and my vice grips i had stashed under my seat to bend the hell out of my toolbox lid giving them enough leverage to force the stock POS latch right off) :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1:

here is my toolbox (rather common style)

n7955526_51382872_16317.jpg

my first idea was to put a padlock with a latch like ive seen on so many trucks

23221513_5980cc4cd7.jpg?v=0

I decided against this because it allows easier angles for someone to pry the latch off

What I did do is I bolted a chain to the lid of my toolbox and ran it down through my toolbox in between the box and the truck bed and pad locked it there

Supplies: (for both sides)

2 carriage bolts (so they cannot be tampered with from the outside) with

6 matching nuts

4 washers

2, 1 foot pieces of chain (size is up to you0

2 padlocks (the larger the better :brows: )

a drill with a bit large enough to make a hole large enough for chain to fit

and last, a tube of some rubber sealant/ weather stripping maker stuff I found at the parts store

Step one:

measure and mark off the top of the lid where you plan to bolt the chain up and the bottom of the box where you plan on running the chain through

make sure you measure it so that the chain can fall straight down through the bottom of the box

n7955526_51382874_4211671.jpg

Step two:

Take your drill and make holes on the top and the bottom

*take note the the carriage bolt has a square section under the smooth round head (i drilled 4 small holes and one larger one in the middle creating somewhat of a square)

*also for the bottom consider you plan on running the chain down and locking it so make the hole small enough for just the chain to slip past, (i drilled 4 holes in the shape of a cross +)

((looking for PIC))

Step three:

A - Set bolt for the chain using the rubber weather stripping maker

apply the rubber stuff around the hole one top of the toolbox, then bolt it on using one washer and one nut

B - attach chain to bolt under lid using the following order

*bolt-rubber-box lid-washer-nut-chain-washer-2bolts(just in case)

n7955526_51382873_8357313.jpg

and then were done! :banana: simply run the chain down through the box and lock it up

the location in my opinion is harder to get bolt cutters in and if you use a BFlock its gonna be pretty hard to get it through the bottom if someone trys to pry it open

thank you!

• 2 weeks later...