ax5 231

It is hard to put any kind of a load on them while they are out of a car, but you can always spin the input shaft, and shift into each gear to make sure the output shaft spins. you might be able to both front and rear outputs spinning in first gear 4x4... Thats pretty much the best you can do. Also look into the trans, and look for brass shavings, hinting at syncro damage. most gears will probably fight you a little to get in, but they should get in ok. Fluid color and condition could be a great indicator.

Rob L.

I think he meant if the tranny and T-case will work with each other.

If the spline counts are different, you won't even be able to bolt them together. If the input on the T-case is too short, then the outputs on the T-case won't move when you spin the input on the trans with it in any gear.

I think he meant if the tranny and T-case will work with each other.

If the spline counts are different, you won't even be able to bolt them together. If the input on the T-case is too short, then the outputs on the T-case won't move when you spin the input on the trans with it in any gear.[/quote]

what's in red isn't really true in this case.

ax5's all have the same output length in the 4wd versions, as do ax4's. the only difference is output seal depth...some have it deeper for a long input t-case, some shallower for short input. just need to be aware of that

Do you know what year that might be. The transfercase is a1995 231. Everything does spin when bolted together. Not in the vehichle though.

no. as I've posted before I'm unsure of the years which were short and long with the seal depth differences.

if it spins outside of the vehicle, but not in, you have one of two problems.

A. put the transfercase in something other than neutral.

B. you somehow don't have the right clutch assembly for the transmission you put in. the clutch varies by TRANSMISSION. i.e. if you have an 87 but are using a 91+ transmission, chances are that the 87 clutch and pressure plate are different.

did you install everything properly?

Correct it is not in vehichle. I went car-part and there is know 1995 transmission or transfercase. That will bolt up to a newer (1998) transmission or transfercase. I have the 1998 transmission and a 1995 transfercase and everything turns when bolted up. I was just wondering if that is good or going to be bad.

Correct it is not in vehichle. I went car-part and there is know 1995 transmission or transfercase. That will bolt up to a newer (1998) transmission or transfercase. I have the 1998 transmission and a 1995 transfercase and everything turns when bolted up. I was just wondering if that is good or going to be bad.

um...the answer would seem pretty incoincidentally obvious.

as long as you shift everything through gears (trans and t-case), and the outputs turn respectively to the inputs, in both 2wd and 4wd on the case, and not when the case is in neutral or the trans in neutral, then you're just fine.