97-01 conversion/OBD2 question?

ok so pretty much make to the story short I want to do an OBD2 swap on my mj along with the interior swap and what not. So looking around i found a 96 xj up for parts, and after talking to my friend who has a 96 xj, he says that 96 was the first year of the OBD2, which I thought that 97 was the first year of the OBD2 along with the new body style. I already have a 99 for some parts to put into the mj. if the 96 is actually an OBD2 will the wiring harness and everything work for the 97+ dash and everything else? or would the wiring harness from the 99 parts xj work with the 96 engine and standard tranny? also to clarify is a 96 xj and OBD2 or OBD1?

96 is the first year of OBDII.

Nothing about the 96 dash or ECU is compatible with the 97+ dash ecu wiring etc, completely different.

If your going to do this you really need a complete donor. enough sensors and connections are different on the 96 engine that you won't really be able to use the 97+ wiring........96 longblock with everything else 97+ sure, but little things like the AC pressure sensors etc will be different.

Sir Sam is correct.

NO 97+ electronic parts are compatible with 1996 and prior.

that means zero.

ECU in the 97+ is what controls the gauges. it interprets what the sending units send to the ECU, and swaps them into recognizable code for the gauges. there is no bypass module for this, and no way to program it or make it work save developing a control computer yourself, and that is only possible if you're a tech genius.

you will need 97+ parts to make a 97+ dash work.

this means ALL wiring. ALL drivetrain. ALL instruments. ALL electrical devices.

you can NOT use a 96 engine and 96 electronics with a 97+ system. they are not compatible.

the block would work. and the head would work. everything else is NOT interchangeable, unless you are using a 97/98 to do the conversion...in which case the intake is the same, however I believe the exhaust changes to two manifolds in 98. at that point, you would still need to swap the 97+ fuel rail, throttle body, and all electronics to the 96 block.

that's all fact and cannot be reinterpreted. (sorry if any of that sounded prickish lol. just trying to leave zero loose ends and zero room for misinterpretation)

-Pat

Sir Sam is correct.

that means zero.

ECU in the 97+ is what controls the gauges. it interprets what the sending units send to the ECU, and swaps them into recognizable code for the gauges. there is no bypass module for this, and no way to program it or make it work save developing a control computer yourself, and that is only possible if you're a tech genius.

you can NOT use a 96 engine and 96 electronics with a 97+ system. they are not compatible.

the block would work. and the head would work. everything else is NOT interchangeable, unless you are using a 97/98 to do the conversion...in which case the intake is the same, however I believe the exhaust changes to two manifolds in 98. at that point, you would still need to swap the 97+ fuel rail, throttle body, and all electronics to the 96 block.

that's all fact and cannot be reinterpreted. (sorry if any of that sounded prickish lol. just trying to leave zero loose ends and zero room for misinterpretation)

-Pat

I think the two exhaust thing happened in 2001, iirc.

Sir Sam is correct.

that means zero.

-Pat

I think the two exhaust thing happened in 2001, iirc.

k I wasn't sure.

one more thing...in 98 or 99 they went to coil packs, in which case you will need to devise a way to secure the coil pack rail to the head if you use a head from before that year.

its cool dude, id rather you explain everything thorough then just bullcrap it and believe that your right. thanks for the info, I think I'm going to use my friends complete 99 xj, only thing i really need is a standard tranny that would work, and the body parts. now for the tranny, would i have to get one from a 99(i know not the exact year but that era) or could i use any ax15 from any year? the parts xj I'm using used to have one but my buddy took it and the xcase for his new xj