Police auction help

pilotblake

I am going to a police auction tomorrow morning to look at a couple vehicles they have listed on the bill. I have never been to an auction like this and have no idea what I'm in for. If anyone has been to an auction of this type I would take all the pointers I could get. I know you pretty much buy them on sight as is, but that is the extent of my knowledge. I am not going with the intentions of buying a top quality vehicle, but I am interested in the dos and don't's. I have basic mechanical knowledge, but without running a vehicle what are the important things to check quick, to have the best odds of maybe pulling away a diamond in the rough. All help and criticism welcome. Also can I bring tools?

I can't speak for the auctions in your area, but at ours the bidders are allowed a certain amount of time before the bidding begins to examine the vehicles. As we had some problems with folks intentionally disabling the vehicles they wanted (to discourage other bidders) most of them will not have a key or battery in the car (however, they will accompany you to the vehicle with a jump box and the key and stand there while you do your thing). No tools are allowed here but they usually write codes on the windshield like these:

DL - Deadline. Usually has a date with it that shows when it was taken out of service.

TR - Transmission is shot

BE - Blown engine

BDL - Bad drive line (but they don't know why)

DNS - Do not start. Usually means no oil or bad oil leak that would cause engine to seize.

Depending on the department, they might keep the maintenance records. Most howver take pretty good care of the vehicles. Good Luck!

Have you confirmed that you are allowed to go? Cause where I'm from the public wasn't allowed to attend the auctions, only dealers. Not sure if you are a dealer (doesn't sound like it since this is your first), going with a dealer friend, or just waxed the right guys hand.

I guess there are auctions every saturday morning with 60-100 vehicles. I went saturday, and it was pretty interesting. You paid $50 cash to get in with a badge, you get an hour to look things over, then they auction the cars off in about 45 minutes. There was a burnt up GMC 1500 that had nearly brand new 35" baja claw MTs and it sold for $300. When you leave if you didn't buy anything you turn your badge in and get your $50 back, if you buy something then that $50 goes towards the purchase. I personally would not go for anything like a daily driver, but lots of good parts vehicles. Interesting crowd too.

i used to buy cars at local police and government auctions like crazy to turn a quick buck. some were just worth it to part out, others, clean up and sell. i made a fair amount of money doing it. then they changed things around here. they put minimum bids on vehicles and the prices went up. getting a running car for $75 was no longer an option. now a parts vehicle goes for over $500 and just isn't worth it.

a neighbor bought a suburban that was an x police k9 unit. he paid $5500 for it, the fleet model, plus all the fees that went along with it. book on it was about $6200, for a non x police rig. he could have picked up a nicer one from a car lot. they're just no fun anymore. :dunno: